TEMERLOH: The recent fatal ragging at the Royal Military College is an isolated case and should not deter other students from studying there, said Defence Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Saying that the college was opened to all Malaysians, Dr Ahmad Zahid also said non-Malays should discard their fear about enrolling in the college.
He said that about 10% of the students at the college were non-Malays and the Government intended to increase their population to more than 20%.
He added that the college had many non-Malay students previously, and among them was former MCA president Tun Dr Ling Liong Sik.
The recent ragging that led to the death of a student there should not be a factor causing fear, Dr Ahmad Zahid told reporters after opening the Temerloh Umno division delegates’ meeting yesterday.
He added: “It was an isolated case and we have taken the necessary action against the students involved.”
Following the fatal incident that led to the death of student Mohammad Naim Mustaqim Mohamad Sobri last Thursday, the ministry has replaced the college’s commandant, Kapt Alias Baharuddin.
Dr Ahmad Zahid said the drastic action against the commandant was justified as he was responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the students there.
He said that with a new commandant in charge it was hoped that the college would be in a better shape.
He added that stricter guidelines would be drawn up.
Did you find this article insightful?