Sabah launches hunt for convicted child rapist


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 16 May 2010

TAWAU: Sabah authorities have launched a massive manhunt for a convicted child rapist who escaped from a prison here after scaling its perimeter wall.

The operation to hunt down Indonesian Anas Omar (pic), 27, included putting up road blocks at major routes in the city and keeping a close watch at the ferry jetty here.

However, as of yesterday evening, attempts to locate the fugitive have been unsuccessful.

It is believed that Anas could have climbed over the prison’s perimeter wall, which was at least 3m high, between 7am and 10am yesterday.

Tawau deputy police chief Supt Imran Abdul Rahman said prison wardens only realised Anas had gone missing after they carried out a roll call at about 10am.

He said the police immediately embarked on a search for Anas amid fears that he might be trying to cross into his home country.

The operation is expected to continue into the night.

Imran urged the public not to panic but to inform the police if they came across any suspicious character within their neighbourhood.

He also cautioned them against harbouring any fugitive as this was a serious crime.

Imran said they could also call the police hotline at 089-772 121 with information on Anas’ wheareabouts.

Tawau prison director Ajidin Salleh has declined comment.

Anas was jailed earlier this year for the rape of a child but it was not immediately known what his jail sentence was.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Environmentalist aghast as once-pristine waterfall turns brown
93 victims still at flood relief centres in Johor
SAR ops underway for fishermen feared drowned in Sandakan
Estate owners’ association backs directive to screen plantation workers in Sabah
Organiser of frozen chicken giveaway issued compound for breaching SOP
230kg of ketum leaves worth RM6,900 seized by cops in Kuala Perlis
MCO: Diners chip in to pay fines for two Kota Kinabalu restaurants which allowed eat-ins
EcoWorld chairman: Woman slapped by Datuk in viral video not my daughter
Alexander Nanta Linggi: Self-service launderettes, optical shops now allowed to operate during MCO
Agong, Raja Permaisuri convey condolences to family of Salleh Abas

Stories You'll Enjoy