We were fleeing from a group of motorcyclists, claims Aminulrasyid's friend (Updated)

  • Nation
  • Monday, 03 May 2010

SHAH ALAM: Aminulrasyid Amzah's friend, who was with him in the car at the time of the fatal shooting of the teenager, claims they were being chased by a group of motorcyclists before the incident.

Azamuddin Omar, 14, at a press conference in Aminulrasyid's family home here Monday, also alleged that he was assaulted by about five policemen after the incident.

He said his Aminulrasyid had earlier invited him out for drinks at Section 7.

Later, in front of the Ali Corner restaurant, Azamuddin said Aminulrasyid had grazed a car.

"He then said he wanted to go straight home to Section 11,” claimed Azamuddin.

When they arrived at Section 11, Azamuddin claimed five motorcycles were chasing them and they fled in the car.

Azamuddin alleged that one of the motorcycles crashed into the rear of the car when they reached Section 12, and motorcyclists then stopped chasing them.

He claimed that Aminulrasyid then overtook a police car, which began chasing them until they reached the Caltex station near Aminulrasyid’s home.

"I heard gunshots when we turned into the junction. When we took the junction to Jalan Tarian, police had shot the tyres and the car," claimed Azamuddin.

He claimed Aminulrasyid said he did not want to stop but wanted keep going until he reached home, although police were still firing at them.

Azamuddin said Aminulrasyid died on his lap after a bullet hit him in the head, but the car kept moving because his foot was still on the accelerator pedal.

After the car crashed into a wall, Azamuddin claimed he got out of the car and fell into a drain, and was assaulted by five policemen.

"I managed to escape and go home. Later that day, when I saw a news report alleging that we were robbers, I lodged a police report on the incident," he added.

He also showed bruises resulting from the alleged assault on him.

Aminulrasyid, 14, was shot at 2am on April 26, when he allegedly tried to reverse the car he was driving into policemen who had stopped the vehicle.

Meanwhile, at the same press conference, Aminulrasyid's family called for a royal commission to investigate the incident.

"We appreciate the Home Minister's move to set up a special panel to investigate but we want a royal commission, which is more transparent and comprehensive," said Aminulrasyid's uncle, Kamarudin Hassan, 45.

He also urged the police to stop making insensitive statements that could hurt Aminulrasyid’s family, especially his mother.

Also present were Aminulrasyid's mother Norsiah Mohamad and two lawyers representing Aminulrasyid's family, N. Surendran and Latheefa Koya.

A special panel headed by Deputy Home Minister Datuk Wira Abu Seman Yusop has been set up to investigate the incident.

Several quarters like the Bar Council, Perkasa and the police force want an inquest into the case.

Meanwhile, in Kuala Lumpur earlier on Monday, Karpal Singh said he had been appointed by Aminulrasyid's family as legal counsel on matters related to their son’s death.

"I have been engaged to act on behalf of Aminulrasyid’s mother, Norsiah Mohamad, in all matters arising out of the death of her son, including initiating legal proceedings against the police and the Government of Malaysia, both civil and criminal.

"I hope the police will give me their full co-operation to ensure justice is served. Public interest demands it," Karpal said at a press conference in his office, while showing newsmen his appointment letter from the family, who met him on Sunday.

He also said he would write to the Attorney-General about conducting a thorough investigation of the incident and hold a watching brief during court proceedings over the matter.

To a question, he said he had no problem working with other lawyers and that the family told him that Surendran was acting on behalf of the Bar Council.

"I am open to any assistance and am willing to work with anyone," he said.

Karpal also said the four policeman involved in the case should be suspended from duty until the investigation was completed.

He added that he would be visiting the crime scene on Tuesday to view the area and talk to the family.

Related Stories: Three recalled in probe into fatal shooting of teen Cooperate in investigations into teen’s death, PM urges cops IGP: We have nothing to hide Police chief tells of 6km car chase before shooting All family want is justice done

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Next In Nation

Weak quake hits Sabah’s Kundasang
Man held over viral rioting incident in Johor
Ipoh hospital operating as normal, says director
Covid-19: We've not reached 'Sophie's choice' yet, healthcare system still able to cope, says Health Minister
Police seek to expedite purchase of body cameras
EMCO in two localities in Sarawak lifted
Teenage girl dies after private party in Alor Setar, nine arrested
Call of duty: Melaka CID chief cuts short prayers, rushes to crime scene in Baju Raya
Firecrackers hurled at police in Sentul
Alor Gajah police say viral photo of authorities compounding homeowner RM50,000 is fake

Stories You'll Enjoy