Khalid: Easier job against Kamalanathan


  • Nation
  • Friday, 16 Apr 2010

KUALA KUBU BARU: Pakatan Rakyat’s chances of winning the Hulu Selangor by-election appears to be better given Barisan Nasional’s choice of candidate, Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim said.

Describing P. Kamalanathan as a weaker candidate compared to Datuk G. Palanivel, who was MIC’s main choice, Khalid said the job had been made easier for Pakatan.

“Our chance is much better now, but we will still have to work very hard to convince the Hulu Selangor people that PKR and Pakatan Rakyat are the right parties to represent them in Parliament,” said Khalid, who is Pakatan’s campaign director for the by-election.

Khalid was speaking to reporters after launching the Selangor State Investment Centre’s (SSIC) investment unit in the Hulu Selangor District Council here yesterday.

He was asked to comment on Barisan fielding MIC information chief P. Kamalanathan.

Meanwhile, PKR has appointed three of its elected representatives to “take charge” of the Barisan-held state constituencies of Kuala Kubu Baru, Hulu Bernam and Batang Kali which are located within the Hulu Selangor parliamentary seat.

Party vice-president Sivarasa Rasiah said Kapar MP S. Manikavasagam and he would oversee Kuala Kubu Baru, while Bukit Melawati assemblyman Muthiah Mariapilay and Selangor exco member Dr Xavier Jayakumar would handle Hulu Bernam and Batang Kali respectively.

All three state seats were won by the Barisan with comfortable majorities in the 2008 general election, while PKR wrested the Hulu Selangor parliamentary seat from the MIC with only a 198-vote majority.

Sivarasa said PKR considered itself the underdog in the Hulu Selangor by-election “as we recognise the fact that we won the seat with a slim majority.”

He said Pakatan’s strategy would be to conduct house-to-house campaigning to introduce PKR candidate Datuk Zaid Ibrahim.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Annuar Musa says visiting cemeteries allowed after social media furore
Pikas centre in Seberang Jaya to close temporarily due to vaccine shortage
Police to call up wedding planner over SOP violation
Jawi uses backhoes to speed up funeral process for Covid-19 victims
Twenty-one localities in Terengganu, two areas in Sabah under EMCO from Aug 3-16
Covid-19: Sarawak sees new spike in infections with 578 cases on Sunday (Aug 1)
Harsh treatment of young female activists unacceptable, says MCA
Love scam: Woman loses RM11,700 to pay for ‘Covid-19 quarantine, treatment costs’
Kelantan Sultan allows palace to be used as vaccination centre
Shafie hopes King, Conference of Rulers will intervene over postponement of Parliament sitting

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers