Sodomy II: Anwar wants Saiful charged


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 07 Jan 2010

PETALING JAYA: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has filed an application at the Federal Territory Syariah High Court against three parties relating to the sodomy charges made against him by Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan, including an order for the latter to be charged.

Anwar is seeking an order to compel the chief syariah prosecutor, the Federal Territory Religious Affairs Department (Jawi) and Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Jamil Khir Baharom to expedite qazaf (criminal defamation) charge against Mohd Saiful.

In a statement, Anwar said he wants the Syariah High Court to issue an order to prosecute Mohd Saiful under Section 41 of the Federal Territory Syariah Criminal Act for committing qazaf.

He also urged the court to compel the Jawi director and Jamil Khir not to block or influence the chief prosecutor from carrying out his duty to prosecute Mohd Saiful.

“My application follows my earlier qazaf suit dated July 9, 2008 against Mohd Saiful, who had issued a false statement that I had committed sodomy against him.

“I have undergone investigations twice and I had provided Jawi with all pertinent evidence, including police reports.

“In August last year, I was told that Jawi had completed its investigations, but to date, the chief syarie prosecutor had yet to carry out legal action against Mohd Saiful,” he added.

Anwar said he was surprised at Jamil Khir’s statement in Parliament on Oct 27 last year, in which the minister said that the qazaf charges against Mohd Saiful could only proceed after the sodomy charge is heard at the civil High Court.

“The act of qazaf, which is a syariah-related offence, differs from sodomy, which is a criminal offence under the civil court.

“The Syariah High Court has exclusive powers to hear qazaf cases.

“As a Muslim, I have the right to protect my good name as provided for in syariah laws,” Anwar added.

Related Stories: Anwar’s bid for review of DPP’s statement rejected Court dismisses Anwar’s leave application for judicial review Sodomy II: Jan 5 decision on judicial review Sodomy, Part 2 begins next month Anwar fails to strike out sodomy charge (Update)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Boy’s hand caught in sugarcane juicer at Ramadan bazaar in Jasin
MCO 3.0: IGP makes surprise visit at roadblock near Rawang toll plaza
Lam Thye: State depts, highway authorities must come up with multi-pronged approach to reduce roadkill
MCO 3.0: Police step up roadblocks in KL, Selangor
Zunar says he was questioned by cops over his caricature of Kedah MB
Non-contact sports and recreational activities now allowed in MCO areas
Dr Wee, volunteers distribute aid packages in Ayer Hitam
Rosmah files bid to nullify her solar project corruption trial
Penangites to learn if MCO will be implemented on Saturday (May 8)
Covid-19: 19 new clusters, 10 linked to workplaces

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers