Allegations of Penan girls and women being raped and molested by timber company workers in the Baram district in Sarawak have been confi rmed to be true.
A special committee set up by the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry revealed that at least seven girls and women were raped and molested - confi rming a news report by The Star late last year.
The horror the Penan girls and women went through.
● A girl, 12, was raped by a stranger outside her hostel and by a timber worker when she took a lift in a timber company’s vehicle from her village in Long Kawi to her school in Long Lama. She got pregnant, quit school and married a Penan man.
● A woman from Long Item was raped by a timber worker in 2005 and 2007 and gave birth to a baby girl, now two years old.
● One was raped by an Iban timber worker when she was kidnapped at the age of 13, while visiting her relatives in Miri.
● One was almost raped when she took a lift with her father from a timber company to apply for an identity card.
● In Long Muboi, a student said her 14-year-old friend was molested by a truck driver who gave her a lift to school.
● A 17-year-old girl gave birth to a child and her neighbours claimed that she had sexual relations with the timber workers.
● A group of women said they believed that sex exploitation exists among the Penan women and girls but they were too ashamed to tell their stories.
Related Stories: Rape of Penan women did occur Panel: Most had problems getting IDs Provide more info, ministry told Shahrizat: Logging firms have been identified
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!