ISA protest: FRU truck and water cannon truck leave Bkt Jalil police station

  • Nation
  • Sunday, 02 Aug 2009

09.45pm: An FRU truck and a water cannon truck leave Bukit Jalil police station. About 150 people still waiting outside the police station. Some of those released are still awaiting processing of documentation.

09.15pm: According to a Legal Aid Council lawyer, there were 77 detainees. Of that number, 59 were released (three children, 11 women and 45 men); 18 remanded (5 women and 13 men, including Sivarasa)

09.00pm: Cheras police chief ACP Ahmad Amir Mohd Hashim came out from Bkt Jalil police station with several of his officers and told gathering that they can hold vigil for only 10 minutes as holding candles was a form of protest and against the law. After 10 minutes, the people gathered there snuffed out their candles and sang Negaraku.

08.30pm: Candlelight vigil begins at the Bukit Jalil police station

08.20pm: A total of 17 detainees have been remanded till now for two days ending Monday midnight. They will be either charged or released Monday.

07.15pm: A total of 12 people remanded till now. Another 3 released without remand. 26 detainees are still waiting to go through the remand process. 06.30pm: Five women, including two GMI leaders, remanded for two days; 34 more are waiting to go through the remand process

05.30pm: Another 22 detainees released without remand

04.30pm: Subang MP Sivarasa remanded for two days. He will charged at the Jalan Duta magistrate court on Monday

04.05pm: One 16-year-old boy was remanded for four days at Petaling police station’s juvenile detention centre. Two boys, 16 and 13, were released after a magistrate refused to grant remand orders for them.

The two had been held for more than 24 hours - first at the Cheras Federal Reserve Unit complex, Petaling police station on Old Klang Road before being brought to Bukit Jalil police station at about 11am, in handcuffs, and placed in the same cells as adults from the Petaling police station.

03.20pm: Two women, Siti Zalina and Masitah Sharif released.

02.10pm Ammar Bad Latif, 13, son of Bad Latif Mansor, 43, Gombak PAS member, was not allowed to be remanded and released after documentation was complete. Mother Nashita Mat Noor, 43, a GMI treasurer, is still being processed. Another boy Suhaib Mat Sah, 16, is still being processed.

01.55pm: Maimunah Abdullah was let in to see her detained asthmatic daughter-in-law Nur Ain Ghazali at 1.55pm after she shouted for more than 10mins outside Bkt Jalil police station to be let in.

01.50pm: Legal Aid Council lawyer and PKR info chief Latheefa Koya who came out from station at 1.45pm said remand process ongoing for 63 detainees.

She said the process was difficult for 20 lawyers inside station as they lacked access to clients in the lockup.

Latheefa said the main aim was the immediate release of all those detained.

KUALA LUMPUR: Two boys, who were detained in Saturday's protests on Internal Security Act in the city, have been brought over to the Bukit Jalil police station.

It is understood that the boys - two 13-year-olds - were taken to the station from the Petaling police station for remand.

Opposition MP R. Sivarasa and another 16-year-old boy have also been taken to the Bukit Jalil police station.

There are currently some 50 supporters and family members outside of the police station.

However, the situation is calm.

Earlier, police released 526 people who have been detained during the rallies on ISA throughout the city on Saturday.

They were released at 9.30am today after screening by police and their particulars taken down.

Those detained also included 44 juveniles.

City police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Wira Mohd Sabtu Osman said 63 people were still being detained and investigated under Section 27 (5) of the Police Act 1967 and Societies Act for attending the illegal assembly.

The 63 are currenly at the Bukit Jalil pending police request for remand order and are being held back for documentation.

He said the only politician arrested in the illegal gathering that lasted nearly 12 hours were Sivarasa, who was picked up at Sogo at 3pm.

It is learnt that at least 30 supporters are expected to be charged on Monday for taking part in the protest.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site