India upbeat over labour deals


KUALA LUMPUR: Indian nationals arriving here under a newly-signed bilateral labour accord will not be entitled to a minimum wage but their interests will not be overlooked.

Indian High Commissioner to Malaysia Ashok K. Kantha said his Government had accepted that Ma­­lay­­­sia preferred to let demand and supply dictate wages.

He said Indian workers would still be “protected” as Indian immigration authorities could bar the departure of those considered underpaid.

“The important thing is that re­­cruitment will be done fairly with all sides – workers, employers and recruiting agents – protected.

“A joint working group will be established to define things clearly. Malaysia will host the first meeting,’’ he said in an interview in conjunction with India’s 60th Republic Day celebrations today.

The agreement was signed in New Delhi on Jan 3 between Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam and Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi.

There are about 150,000 Indian nationals working in Malaysia, most of them in the service sector and others in construction and agriculture, making them the third largest foreign workforce here.

India had been seeking an agreement with Malaysia on manpower recruitment since 2003, wanting a “benchmark” minimum wage (which the high commission then set at RM600) and dispute settlement mechanism.

Kantha, who was posted here in 2007, said the new agreement drafted in June 2007 would also streamline the recruitment of Malaysian workers in India.

On other matters, he said two-way trade last year was expected to have crossed the US$10bil (RM35.7bil) mark, adding that the upward spiral would continue despite the global economic slump.

“For the month of November last year, Malaysia’s exports to India grew by 23%, while India also exported more here. That’s how productive our relations have been,’’ he added.

The envoy also said a comprehensive economic co-operation agreement to consolidate trade between both countries was expected to be finalised by year-end, with the next round of talks scheduled held here from Feb 10-12.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Shot fired at GOF personnel near Bukit Kayu Hitam
Injured GOF cop transferred to Penang Hospital for another operation
Transport Ministry: Application for foreign vessels to operate here only takes five days
Police to launch anti-corruption plan Thursday (Nov 26)
Covid-19: High temperatures during production prevent possible contamination, says Top Glove
Orange-level weather alert for Peninsular Malaysia states
Covid-19: No infections in the community from Teratai cluster, says Health DG
Dr M: Pejuang MPs will not support Budget 2021
Top Glove is biggest contributor of cases in a single day, says Ismail Sabri
Disciplinary action taken against 6,000 cops for various misconducts since 2016, says Bukit Aman

Stories You'll Enjoy