A ploy to thwart Opposition takeover, says Syed Husin

  • Nation
  • Thursday, 17 Jul 2008

PKR slams the arrest of de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim

PETALING JAYA: The arrest of PKR leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim is to thwart the Opposition’s takeover of the country, party deputy president Dr Syed Husin Ali said.

He said the arrest came less than 15 hours after “an overwhelming majority of Malaysians expressed their support” for Anwar following his live appearance on television on Tuesday night.

In the debate with Information Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Anwar expressed his intention to stand for election and to lower the petrol price by 50 sen per litre once the Pakatan Rakyat formed the new government.

He also believed the police had arrested Anwar to “force” evidence out of him.

Dr Syed Husin said party president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail was providing strong leadership and was assisted by a group of capable leaders.

He also warned supporters of possible agent provocateurs capitalising on Anwar’s arrest not to create public unrest and pin the blame on the party.

DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng said the party strongly criticised the police move.

“Is there any need for such action when Anwar had complied fully with the law and shown willingness to co-operate fully with the investigation?” he said in a statement yesterday.

PAS secretary-general Datuk Kamaruddin Jaafar said the arrest was unexpected. He appealed for the public to remain calm.

A group of Anwar’s supporters gathered for a vigil outside the Kuala Lumpur police headquarters around 8pm and lit candles.

Several PKR leaders turned up to speak to the supporters periodically and told them to remain calm. One woman was detained after failing to comply with police orders.

At midnight, police ordered the group to disperse and were prepared to make more arrests.

Federal Reserve Unit personnel were bought on standby with two water-cannon vehicles.

At 12.20am, PKR Youth chief Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin urged the crowd to disperse. No further arrests were made.

Meanwhile, it is learnt that Wan Azizah and her daughter Nurul Hana were stuck in a lift at the police headquarters when going to visit and deliver some personal items to Anwar.

The incident happened at 11.50pm when Wan Azizah pressed the button to go to the floor where her husband Anwar was kept.

Crew from the nearby Hang Tuah fire station rushed to the scene at 12.08am after receiving a call, and managed to get the duo out at 12.25am.

Related Stories:CID chief explains why Anwar was arrested earlier Government to see what people have to say first Ruckus in Dewan over Mukhriz’s comment on Anwar Early arrest surprises Bar Council chairman I fear for him, says Wan Azizah Only minimal medical test done on Anwar, says lawyer How the events unfolded Syed Hamid: Action according to law Anwar released on police bail (Updated)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Next In Nation

SUKE developer: Overloaded trailer in MRR2 bridge collapse not involved in highway's construction
All ship crew members entering Sabah waters for barter trade must be tested for Covid-19, says Masidi
Police investigating threats to health officials in Nabawan over Covid-19 cases
Johor cops nab seven bikers for reckless riding
Hailstones hit Cheras during downpour
Port Klang Authority's K. Subramaniam elected new IAPH president
At least five people trapped in van after bridge under construction collapses
Covid-19: At least 35 test positive following funeral in Melaka
Covid-19: Malaysia's case figures below 2,000 mark for third day straight
Probe on Zeti's husband and 1MDB funds still on, say police

Stories You'll Enjoy