Sanglang state seat declared vacant (Updated)


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 18 Jun 2008

KANGAR: The Election Court has accepted a petition filed by Perlis PAS commissioner Hashim Jasin and declared the Sanglang state seat vacant.

Judge Datuk Zainal Adzam Abdul Ghani however rejected Hashim’s application to declare him the winner.

Hashim, who is the Perlis PAS commissioner, lost the seat to Barisan Nasional’s Abdullah Hassan in the March 8 polls.

Zainal said the court no longer had the jurisdiction to declare who should be the winner as Section 35 (C) of the Election Offences Act 1954 that provided such jurisdiction had been abolished in 2003.

The court has left it to the Elections Commission to decide on the by-election.

Hashim who was represented by lawyer Mohamad Ariff Yusof had submitted a petition challenging the election results on grounds that errors were made during the ballot counting process.

Abdullah had filed application to allow a by-election to resolve the dispute. Hashim, who lost by 149 votes, had filed an application to be declared the winner.

In an immediate response, Perlis Umno liaison committee chairman Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim said Umno was prepared for a by-election in Sanglang.

“We will work hard to ensure victory for Barisan,” he said.

Shahidan, who is the former Perlis Mentri Besar, said the state Umno liaison committee would lead the by-election campaign.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online