Flood waters rise, more evacuated in Pendang


MYT 5:06:41 PM

ALOR STAR: More families were moved to safer grounds as floodwaters rose in Pendang, near here. 

A total of 143 people from 35 families were evacuated Wednesday, bringing the total evacuees in the district to 237. 

They are from Pondok Batu Hampar, Pondok Haji Husin, Seberang Pekan Pendang, Kampung Seberang Pendang, Kampung Alor Ali, Kampung Rambai and Kampung Lubuk Gajah, Kampung Batu 16, Kampung Seberang Titi Dua Lapis, Tanah Merah Dalam, Simpang Tiga Tobiar Kampung Suka Mari, Kampung Banggol Kambing and Kampung Banggol Besi. 

All the victims are now staying at a Sports Complex in Tanah Merah, Pendang. 

On Tuesday night, 94 people from 27 families were evacuated from the same villages. 

The district has been hit by floods since Monday night. 

A spokesman from Pendang flood operations centre said the Sungai Pendang water level had reached 3.03m on Wednesday, exceeding the danger level of 2.7m. 

“Floodwaters rose to one metre after water from Sungai Pendang overflowed,” he said. 

Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid, when met on Wednesday, said the state had asked the Drainage and Irrigation Department to study the irrigation system in Pendang. 

“Most of the affected villages were also flooded when the district was hit by flood last month,” he said.  

Mahdzir said the Drainage and Irrigation Department was told to find ways to solve the problem.


   

Across The Star Online