Inquest into death of teenager begins


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 01 Aug 2006

KOTA KINABALU: The inquest into the death of teenager Anthony Chang Kim Fook started here yesterday, with Sessions judge Dean Wayne Daly agreeing to a suggestion by deputy public prosecutor Suhaimi Ibrahim to address five issues. 

At the outset of the hearing here, the DPP proposed that the terms of the inquest should include determining when, where and how Chang, 19, died and the manner of his death. 

“This inquest should also determine whether any person was criminally concerned in this matter,” Suhaimi said, adding that it was his hope the coroner would eventually come up with a verdict. 

To this, Dean replied: “It depends on your witnesses. I have no control over them.” 

The judge was sitting as coroner, assisted by DPPs Suhaimi, Gan Peng Kiun and Rozaliano Zakaria. 

Present in the court were Chang’s father David and sister Annie. 

The inquest began nearly 10 months after Chang was shot dead outside the public library at Donggongon township in Penampang, near here, on Oct 23 last year. 

Former state minister Datuk Conrad Mojuntin, 58, and his nephew, David Mojuntin, 42, were charged on July 20 with voluntarily causing hurt during a brawl between two groups that led to the shooting incident outside the same library on that day. 

The former minister also faced a second charge of criminal intimidation. 

Both Conrad and his nephew had pleaded not guilty to the charges and had since been released on bail.  

The first witness called in the inquest was Lans Kpl Jose Kadim @ Joe, a detective in the criminal investigations department. 

The lance corporal told the hearing that he took 106 photographs of the crime scene that day. 

Replying to another question posed by Suhaimi, he said apart from the crime scene, he took photographs at the Penampang police station, the nearby SJD Cafe and at Conrad’s house. 

Holding a watching brief at the hearing were lawyers Ram Singh and Victor Chong, standing in for Christina Liew, who is acting for Chang’s family. 

Counsel Zahir Shah and Zuhaila Chia Abdullah also held a watching brief for Conrad’s family.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

All Islamic nations should support the Palestinian cause, says Abdul Hadi
Covid-19: Four in JB compounded RM5,000 each for not observing SOP
Covid-19: Indian variant not in Sabah, says state Health Dept
Sentul firecracker incident: Police nab another four suspects
Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei to jointly condemn Israel's attacks on Palestine, says Muhyiddin
EMCO imposed in two localities in Pahang, one in Sabah, says Ismail Sabri
Many Sabahans still trying to cross district borders, says Masidi
Prominent property consultant Michael Geh dies of Covid-19 complications
Covid-19: 15 new clusters recorded, eight workplace-related
Firemen, villagers struggling to put out blaze raging through Kampung Meruntum, Sabah

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers