Chaos reigns as police rearrest detainees


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 29 Jun 2006

marsha@thestar.com.my 

SIMPANG RENGGAM: Things turned chaotic at the Simpang Renggam detention centre when 13 detainees being released ran helter-skelter to avoid being rearrested. 

In the 6.15pm incident, some of the 13 men managed to escape. Several family members ended up injured. 

The drama unfolded just as the 13 were being transported to the main entrance of the centre in a bus. 

As the bus approached the gate, the detainees were seen sticking their heads out of the windows and calling out to about 30 loved ones who had gathered outside the centre. 

FRANTIC SCENE: Family members trying to restrain plainclothes policemen from rearresting the just released detainees at the Simpang Renggam detention centre Wednesday.

However, the men suddenly became quiet when they spotted some 20 plainclothes policemen and a police truck parked outside the compound. 

As the bus stopped just outside the gate, one of the men suddenly opened the vehicle's emergency exit and jumped off, but a group of policemen rushed towards him and stopped him from escaping.  

On seeing this, the others started alighting from the bus and tried to make a getaway. 

Family members surged forward but a few policemen pushed through the group and managed to hold some of the men down. A few of the just released detainees were seen running down the road. 

Later, several of the men, including a number who were injured, were hauled into the police truck. 

Many of the visibly upset family members were left crying and tending to bruises. 

When contacted, Johor police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Hussin Ismail confirmed that eight men were re-arrested but declined to comment further.  

At press time, it was still unclear how many of the 13 had actually made off. 

Last week the Kuala Lumpur High Court had quashed the detention orders of 15 men held under the Emergency Ordinance. Thirteen of them were held in Simpang Renggam and two in Muar. 

Of the 15, seven were represented by Baljit Singh Sidhu and Abd Shukor Ahmad.  

Baljit Singh said the police did not act according to procedure as the men had not been informed that they would be re-arrested nor did they know the grounds for the re-arrest.  

“This is contempt of court,” he said.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Chong Wei receives first dose, encourages M’sians to get vaccinated
Covid-19: Infectivity rate at 0.95, says Health DG
Bake the world a better place: Bakery owner takes a stand against racism
EMCO: Marine police to monitor round-the-clock at Kg Gusi Kinarut, Sabah
Covid-19: Outbreak at Setapak construction site among 23 new clusters
KK hit by severe flash floods on Friday (June 18) after four-hour downpour
Two localities in Sabah, one in Kelantan to come under EMCO from June 20-July 3
MCA: Reconvening Parliament an important step in unifying nation to fight pandemic
Covid-19: 74 fatalities bring death toll to 4,276
Vegetable supply from Camerons still stable despite EMCO

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers