Mum appeals against coroner’s verdict on son


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 21 Jun 2006

KUALA LUMPUR: The mother of G. Francis Udayappan has filed an appeal in the High Court to challenge the findings of a coroner’s court that conducted the inquest into her son’s death. 

Udayappan’s case received widespread media attention when his decomposed body was fished out of the Klang River two years ago with the right hand and half the head missing. 

In the four-page petition, 47-year-old G. Sara Lily claimed that magistrate Nazran Mohd Sham, who sat as coroner in the case, had erred factually and legally in concluding that there was no foul play or criminal elements involved in the death of 24-year-old Udayappan. 

Among other things, she held that the magistrate had erred when he failed to consider the contradictions from witnesses on whether the deceased was handcuffed or not, and when he failed to use his prerogative to call several material witnesses to testify in the inquest. 

Sara Lily also alleged that the magistrate had made a mistake when he failed to conclude that the police had caused the death of her son. 

The identity of the body was only confirmed by the coroner’s court two months ago when the magistrate announced his findings in open court. 

Sara Lily filed the petition yesterday through lawyer N. Surendran. Notice of appeal had been filed in April. 

Surendran later told reporters that the appeal was limited to the part of the decision that ruled out foul play in Udayappan’s death and also on the manner in which he had died.  

“She is not going to give up until she gets justice.”  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Ramadan bazaars will be closed if Covid-19 infections occur, says Annuar Musa
As Covid-19 cases rise, local authorities in Sabah told to review ruling on markets and stalls
Sabah STAR sec-gen Guandee Kohoi to be sworn in as Deputy Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister on Friday (April 16)
Cops record statement from Zeti’s husband
Religious school in Kelantan, Kuching Pulapol under EMCO from April 16-29
State to ramp up vaccination plan to immunise all eligible Sarawakians by end-August, says Douglas Uggah
Employment portal will help Malaysia legalise undocumented Bangladeshis, says High Commissioner
No MCO in five Sarawak districts, CMCO to continue until April 26 as scheduled, says Deputy CM
Two boats held in Johor over illegal fishing
Covid-19: 15 new clusters, five detected in Kelantan

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers