Coroner: It’s Udayappan’s body, and no foul play

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 08 Apr 2006

KUALA LUMPUR: The decomposed body of a man fished out of the Klang River two years ago with the right hand and half the head missing has been confirmed as that of fugitive G. Francis Udayappan. 

The coroner’s court which came to this conclusion yesterday also ruled out foul play as the cause of his death. 

Magistrate Nazran Mohd Sham, who sat as coroner, returned an open verdict after ruling that the time, place, cause of death and manner in which Udayappan had died could not be determined positively by the court. 

The inquest, which began on Aug 10, 2004, heard evidence from 15 witnesses. 

Nazran confirmed the identity of the body primarily through the facts and evidence produced by Sjn Chan Kim Chai (who had custody of the fugitive prior to his escape from the Brickfields police headquarters), Prof K. Nadesan (a forensic pathologist with the University Malaya Medical Centre) and Dr Chang Yuet Meng (a chemist from the Chemistry Department). 

Sjn Chan had confirmed in his testimony the facts leading to Udayappan’s escape, while Prof Nadesan said there was reasonable grounds to suspect the deceased was the fugitive based on the clothes, height, and period of death and discovery of the decomposed body. 

(In his bid to escape, Udayappan was said to have jumped into the Klang River behind the Brickfields police headquarters. He was 24 when he died) 

Dr Chang, in her testimony, had confirmed that the DNA sample taken from the body was degraded and added that there was a possibility of contamination.  

(The chemist had testified in court that the DNA sample taken from the body did not match that of Udayappan’s parents.) 

In ruling out criminal elements as the cause of death, Nazran said the forensic pathologist confirmed that no external injuries or visible bruises were found on the body. 

“Neither was he poisoned because the results of the toxicology test came out negative.”  

When the court stood down afterwards, Udayappan’s 47-year-old mother G. Sara Lily cried.  

She said that while she was satisfied with the conclusion, she could not accept the fact that foul play was ruled out. 

Her solicitor N. Surendran said the family would look at all options before deciding on their next course of action.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Next In Nation

MetMalaysia issues typhoon advisory
Covid-19: Heads of two schools in Alor Gajah test positive
Senior citizen nabbed over assault of motorist in Pasir Gudang
Masidi: No truth to rumours of MCO in KK
Employer who allegedly assaulted bodyguards apologises
Viral 'police cartel' list is fake, ex-cop nabbed for allegedly spreading it, says Bukit Aman
Housewife losses RM500 in Hari Raya cookie scam
Ismail Sabri: 72 compounded for SOP violations on Friday (April 16)
Covid-19: Over 1,000 new cases from Selangor and KL on Saturday (April 17)
EMCO to be imposed in multiple areas nationwide from April 18-May 1

Stories You'll Enjoy