ALOR STAR: Ten-year-old Mohd Haffizie Mohd Noor will probably never touch a firecracker again.
The Year Four pupil was injured while trying to light a home-made firecracker outside his home in Kampung Lubuk Pinang in Ayer Hitam, about 25km from here, on Sunday night.
Mohd Haffizie suffered injury to his eyes, face and both hands when the firecracker he made from a tin can and carbide exploded. He was admitted to the Alor Star hospital.
In another incident, Saiful Hanif Mazlan, nine, sustained burns on his right leg and left foot while cooking instant noodles with two young neighbours.
The incident occurred at 10am on Monday at an open space in Kampung Alor Nan in Pendang, about 30km from here.
His mother Norma Ahmad, 42, said Saiful was burnt when the petrol he poured on a makeshift fireplace ignited instantly after being lit with a lighter by one of the neighbours.
My son was shrieking in pain and rolled on the floor in agony. He then jumped into a duck pond to cool down, she said when met at the Alor Star Hospital yesterday where Saiful was warded.
In another mishap at a vehicle accessory shop in Taman Pelangi here at 11.30am yesterday, Form Three student Kang Kean Hoong was injured in his left eye when an adhesive gum container exploded near his face.
Kean Hoong, who was working part time at the shop during the school holidays, was checking the contents of the container with a shop assistant. When the latter ignited a lighter for them to have a clearer view, the container exploded.
Kean Hoong, 15, was given outpatient treatment at the Alor Star hospital.
His mother, Kek Sew Choo, 45, said: The eye specialist told me my son will have blurred vision for a few days, but assured me his vision will return to normal.