Freed Tee just wants to get on with his life

KUALA LUMPUR: He has seen his business suffer, his health deteriorate, and his Datukship revoked, but all he wants now is to forget the past and get on with his life. 

Tee Yam @ Koo Tee Yam, the man branded “a threat to society” and arrested under the Emergency Ordinance, has been unconditionally released from police custody. 

He walked out of Bukit Aman a free man at 8.10pm on Monday, a year and seven months after his arrest on suspicion of being an underworld kingpin. 

The first thing he did was to have his favourite fried rice with his wife and five children in a restaurant in the city. 

Tee kissing his wife on the cheek during the press conference inBukit Tunku on Monday night.

He then headed for the office of his lawyer Datuk Muhammad Shafee Abdullah in Bukit Tunku for a press conference at 11.30pm. 

Despite what must have been his happiest day in recent times, Tee, 48, who was clad in a grey polo T-shirt with a white collar and grey slacks, appeared somewhat subdued, often holding the hand of his wife Chia Mee Sim. 

“My emotions are still unstable and I just want to rest for the moment before getting on with my business again,” he said when asked about his plans. 

He added that he really missed his family during his detention and wanted to spend time with his wife and children. 

“While I was in detention, my wife faced a lot of stress, having to switch from being a housewife to being the head of my business. 

“So from now, I want to let her live a comfortable life again,” added Tee, who spoke mostly in Cantonese. 

Tee, believed to be worth millions, said he had no intention of pursuing a contempt of court application against the police for rearresting him after he was released from the Simpang Renggam detention centre on Saturday. 

“Let’s just let bygones be bygones. Whatever happened before is past,” he said. 

However, he denied any involvement in underworld activities, saying that the first time he had even heard that he was a so-called “Heavenly King” was when he read about it in the papers. 

No reason was given as to why Tee was released so suddenly, but Muhammad Shafee felt that it was the decision to involve the media this time round that had led to the final outcome. 

Tee has business interests in housing development, entertainment outlets, a computer company, a mineral water company and luxury car companies. 

He was stripped of his datukship by the Sultan of Pahang for “tarnishing the image of the award”. 

Tee was arrested in March last year under the Emergency Ordinance and was moved to the detention centre two months later. 

On Oct 19, the Federal Court ordered his release from the centre after he successfully obtained a habeas corpus order. 

Police arrested him when he emerged from the centre on Saturday afternoon.  

His latest detention under the Emergency Ordinance would have allowed the police to hold him for 60 days.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Nation

28 evacuated after landslide at Kemensah Heights
Covid-19: Travellers to Langkawi can reschedule flights, hotel accommodations, says Nancy
Gyms now allowed to open subject to SOPs, Youth and Sports Minister announces
500kg croc captured at Bagan Ajam jetty
Penang allows congregational prayers based on mosque capacity from Saturday (Sept 18) for fully vaccinated
Health DG: Four Covid-19 cases detected after screenings of those leaving for Langkawi
Syed Saddiq issued letter of demand over allegations to destabilise Bersatu
TMJ: Johor Covid-19 task force to improve system used to screen, isolate, monitor and treat patients
Sabah needs full RM480mil allocation for flood mitigation, says Kitingan
Setting-up isolation centre for entry of foreign workers a right move to ease shortage of workers, says ACCCIM

Stories You'll Enjoy