Stricter supervision on preparation of canteen food


  • Nation
  • Monday, 11 Jul 2005

IPOH: The authorities will increase supervision on food preparation at school canteens in view of the recurring poisoning cases. 

State Health, Science and Environment Committee chairman Datuk Tan Chin Meng said at present only random checks were being conducted at the schools. 

He would work together with the Education Department and the exco for education to initiate the move. 

He said stricter supervision was necessary as poisoning cases were still occurring and pupils had nowhere else to buy food except from the canteens. 

Tan was commenting on the recent food poisoning case involving 88 pupils from SK Methodist in Tanjung Rambutan.  

Four of them were warded at the Ipoh Hospital while the rest received outpatient treatment for vomiting, diarrhoea and dizzy spells. 

The pupils said they had eaten chicken rice and nasi lemak

The school canteen was ordered closed until the health authorities completed their investigation. 

Tan, who spoke to reporters here after flagging off 300 participants of the Ipoh Fellowship Mountain Bike 2005 event, said a full report on the incident would be ready by today. 

Last year, he said, over 500 food outlets, including school and hospital canteens, had not met the 60% cleanliness mark set by the Health Department. 

“But such cases only involved 5% of all eateries in the state,” he said.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online