KOTA KINABALU: A cholera outbreak has hit Penampang district near here, with six cases reported over the past two weeks.
Sabah Health Department deputy director Dr Yusof Ibrahim said the last case in the district was reported on June 26.
Six patients had been treated and discharged so far, he said yester-day.
Dr Yusof said health teams had been sent out to alert people in the district on the outbreak and advise them to take precautionary measures.
He said the health teams had even visited the tamu or traditional farmers market at Donggongon township in Penampang.
The cholera outbreak in Penampang occurred barely a month after a similar outbreak in the east coast Semporna district.
Health officials in Semporna shut down 20 eateries in a bid to check the spread of the disease, which had infected 30 people.
Minister in the Chief Ministers Department Datuk Nasir Sakaran, who is Senellang state assemblyman, said 30 people remained infected by cholera in the district.
Businesses at the 20 shops are suspended until their operators have cleaned up their premises, and obtained the necessary health permits for their workers.
Did you find this article insightful?