KOTA KINABALU: About 20 students are still warded at the Semporna District Hospital following a cholera outbreak.
Hospital director Dr Norazan Kamaruzaman said yesterday that only two of the 118 students from SK Bubul II primary and SMK Kabongan II secondary schools who were admitted last Friday had cholera.
The remaining 116 were carriers of the disease, he said. They were found to be infected with the cholera bacteria but did not show any signs of the disease.
Sabah Health Department deputy director Dr Yusof Ibrahim said the remaining students in hospital would be discharged on a case by case basis according to the results of their stool samples.
Semporna Assistant District Officer Bianos Kuntong said the two school canteens that were identified as the place where the students had picked up the cholera germs would remain closed for the next two to three weeks at least.
In Sandakan, health officials are checking food samples from the SK Bandar primary school canteen after a student there was hospitalised on Wednesday with suspected food poisoning.
Sandakan Health Officer Dr G. Navindran said the student was discharged yesterday while 200 other students of the school had been examined.