KOTA BARU: Businessmen who disobey the Health Department's order to shut down their premises will face stern action, including prosecution.
Kelantan Health director Datuk Dr Ahmad Razin Ahmad Mahir said the operator of an ice factory had disobeyed an order to close down his premises for 14 days.
The factory continued operations as usual, he told reporters here yesterday.
He said action could be taken under Section 11 of the Food Act 1983 and Food Regulations 1985, and those found guilty could be jailed not more than five years or fined, or both.
Dr Ahmad Razin said the ice factory would be the first to face stern action for not complying with the instructions issued by the department in efforts to curtail the increasing incidence of typhoid here.
He also said that food handlers should get vaccinated against typhoid. Vaccinations are given free by the Health Department.
Commenting on the latest development, Dr Ahmad Razin said as of 4pm yesterday, 305 cases had been reported, with 102 patients confirmed to have contracted the disease.
A total 133patients were being treated at the Kota Baru Hospital, 21 in Tumpat, 22 in Pasir Mas, six in Machang, 31 in Pasir Puteh, two each in Tanah Merah and Jeli, four in Kuala Krai, one in Gua Musang, 75 at the Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia, and four each at Hospital Perdana Kota Baru and the Kota Baharu Medical Centre.
Dr Ahmad Razin said 60 to 80 cases of suspected typhoid are being attended to by government and private hospitals daily since April 20. Bernama