Firms have until June 30 to get permits for telecommunication towers


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 26 Apr 2005

TELECOMMUNICATION companies have until June 30 to obtain permits for telecommunication towers that they had put up illegally, Kosmo reported. 

Federal Territories Ministry parliamentary secretary Yew Teong Look said this was to ensure that the towers were safe and would not pose a danger to public health. 

He said illegal towers built without following the guidelines set out by the Housing and Local Government Ministry would be torn down even if applications for a permit were made after the date. 

He said to facilitate the application process, the Government had established centres in every state, with each centre capable of carrying out inspections and audits on the towers before a permit was approved. 

The tabloid said there were now 1,090 towers in Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, many of them illegal. 

Berita Harian reported that the Government would place rehabilitation teachers in small rural schools to allow pupils to receive intensive tuition. 

“We find that many pupils in small rural schools have the potential to achieve but they fall short. They require guidance and more attention from the teachers,” said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. 

The newspaper said there were more than 2,000 primary schools with a population of less than 150 pupils each. 

Kosmo reported that Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) spent some RM50mil a year to fix damage caused by vandals. 

Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Mohd Isa Abdul Samad said vandalism was still widespread and cost the Government a lot of money. 

“The cost could be lower if everyone, especially parents, educate their children not to vandalise park facilities in the city,” he said. 

Utusan Malaysia reported that fishermen in Perlis were surprised by their extraordinary prawn catches lately. 

South Perlis Association of Fishermen director Ramli Sabu said that it was not the prawn season but the fishermen had been netting six times more prawns in the past month. 

“The usual season is from June to August, but this surge in catch is occurring from February to April,” he said, adding that such off-season catches never occurred before the Dec 26 tsunami. 

The Kuala Perlis Association of Fishermen said deepsea fishermen were netting three times more fish, and up to 400kg of prawns a week. 

Its director Idris Saad said 30 tonnes of fish were caught in the past week compared with the normal 10 tonnes.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

INTERACTIVE: Vaccination showing goods results abroad but experts warn against complacency
Couple sentenced to death for murdering daughter in Terengganu
Malaysian woman, Pakistani man found dead in KL flat
Larry Sng, Steven Choong sacked from PKR
Muhyiddin: Declaration of Emergency not due to politics, appropriate move in response to health crisis
Muhyiddin shows his mettle in his first year as Prime Minister
Kedah MB gets his Covid-19 vaccination, urges public to have positive attitude to immunisation programme
Deputy Speaker: Parliament not reconvening on March 8
Covid-19: Nine more clusters reported, total cases breach 300,000
Khairy: Ministry monitoring allegations of Covid-19 vaccine queue-jumping

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers