Three tugboat crewmen freed without ransom paid


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 22 Mar 2005

BY BERNARD SEE AND ANTHONY TAN

PENANG: The three tugboat crewmen kidnapped by pirates in the Straits of Malacca last week have been released without any ransom paid. 

Thai marine police found them in a drifting fishing boat, about 20 nautical miles north of Pulau Adang near Pulau Langkawi at 5.30pm on Sunday. 

Captain Nododuo Indue, 54, and chief engineer Shunji Kuroda, 51, both Japanese, and third engineer Sadang Paliawan, 41, a Filipino, of the tugboat Idaten were unhurt but looked exhausted when they arrived at Hotel Equatorial here at 7pm yesterday. 

Capt Indue said they were set adrift in the sea on Friday morning. 

FREED SEAMAN: Capt Indue (second from right) being escorted by Immigration officers after passing though the Bukit Kayu Hitam border checkpoint.-Bernamapic

“We were treated relatively well after our abduction on March 14. We don't know where we were on shore but they made us change boats a total of seven times to avoid being detected by maritime authorities. 

“Five pirates armed with machineguns accompanied us and we moved camp daily. Paliawan understood what they said and acted as our translator. 

“We were made to walk barefooted through the jungles. Our daily meals were made up of rice and fish,” he told a press conference here. 

Kuroda said their captors acted and looked more like soldiers than pirates, adding that all he wanted to do now was to return to Japan to be with his family. 

State police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Christopher Wan said the men were released without any demand for ransom. 

“Patrols along the Straits of Malacca, which is one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, will be beefed up to prevent such incidents,” he said. 

The three crewmen were earlier brought into Malaysia from Thailand through the Bukit Kayu Hitam border checkpoint at 4.30pm. 

Several Japanese officials accompanied them. 

The tugboat was towing a barge, Kurushio 1, when pirates in three fishing boats who were armed with machineguns and rocket launchers, boarded it and kidnapped the three crewmen. 

The attack happened 45.5 nautical miles west off Tanjung Hantu, Lumut. The marine police base in Gelugor was informed about the attack after the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) received a distress call at 7.35pm that night.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Selangor reps from both sides agree that state assembly should reconvene soon
Graduates from non-teaching backgrounds to receive training to overcome teacher shortage
Melaka lawyers want Covid-19 immunity in order to defend clients
Motorcyclist and pillion rider killed in collision with lorry in Sabah
Shahidan reminds Ahmad Zahid that Parliament requires 24 days' notice to reconvene, not 14
Almost 1,000 nabbed for SOP violations on Monday (June 21)
Covid-19: 77 deaths recorded, two victims aged below 30
Ismail Sabri: Two localities in Kunak, Sabah under EMCO from June 24-July 7
Blaze at illegal Pasir Gudang landfill put out within hours
Health Ministry: Fleet of 500 new ambulances will be of mixed types

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers