Two men the latest casualties of dengue


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 15 Feb 2005

PETALING JAYA: Two people, one from Klang and the other from Ipoh, are the latest casualties of dengue. 

The death of V. Sivasubramaniam, 52, a homeguard services operator from Taman Sentosa, Klang, brought the number of deaths caused by dengue to five so far in Selangor this year. 

He was pronounced dead by doctors at the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital on Sunday. 

Sivasubramaniam, the managing director of J.W. Kawalan Sdn Bhd, became ill last week and was admitted to the hospital on Thursday. 

His daughter Suthasinie, 23, said: “This is a cruel blow to our family as my father was a healthy man who had never been admitted to the hospital.” 

State health committee chairman Datuk Dr Lim Thuang Seng, who confirmed the case, said that the state government had stepped up its operations against dengue, adding that the situation was under control. 

In Ipoh, a 22-year-old fireman, who died at the Ipoh Hospital on Feb 5, has been confirmed as the first dengue death in Perak since the beginning of the year. 

He was among 12 cases of dengue haemorrhagic fever detected between Jan 1 and Feb 12 in the state. 

Taman Cempaka, where the fireman had lived, has been declared the most mosquito-prone area in the city, together with Klebang Jaya. 

“A search-and-destroy operation on the breeding grounds of aedes mosquitoes will be carried out in these two black areas,” said state health, science and environment committee chairman Datuk Tan Chin Meng. 

Two teams, each comprising 15 enforcers from the health department and the city council, have been despatched to these places to carry out fogging and cleaning, he said.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site