KOTA KINABALU: Police are on the hunt for a Filipino illegal immigrant over the death of a factory supervisor, who died after being assaulted by three men while attempting to get back his RM500 handphone that was snatched from him.
Papar district police chief Deputy Supt Mender Singh said 22-year-old Jason James sustained severe head and body injuries after he was attacked by three men armed with knives and iron rods at the Kinarut refugee settlement, some 20km from here, on Wednesday evening.
Police immediately launched a manhunt for the three men and arrested a first suspect early on Thursday and a second suspect at nearby Putatan town on Friday.
DSP Mender Singh said that the first suspect, in his 20s, had been jailed before for drug related offences.
“Police are verifying the authenticity of his MyKad. The second suspect is an illegal immigrant as is the third man,'' he added.
In an unrelated case in the east coast Sandakan district, robbers with a penchant for prawns, stole the catch as well as radio equipment and a handphone – all these worth a total of more than RM4,000 - from a fishing trawler.
Did you find this article insightful?