SEREMBAN: Salleh Abu Hassan cannot understand how his eight-year-old daughter Asihah Shahirah could have died from dengue fever because he made sure his compound was always clean.
I am very meticulous when it comes to maintaining cleanliness and in getting rid of potential mosquito breeding grounds.
I am confused as to how Asihah could succumb to dengue despite all the precautions I had taken, he said.
Furthermore, he said the state health department frequently carried out fogging at the housing estate.
Salleh, an engineer, said his neighbourhood was also well kept except for some abandoned houses at the back of his home. Asihah, a Year Two pupil of SK Taman Tuanku Jaafar, near here, died at the Seremban Hospital at 9.10pm on Wednesday.
The victim contracted haemorrhagic dengue fever on Saturday and was initially taken to a private clinic before being warded at the Seremban Hospital.
State Health, Science, Technology and Innovation Committee chairman Datuk Yu Chok Tow said the hospital authorities had confirmed that Asihah had died from dengue fever.
We are monitoring the situation including Asihah's school, she said.
Yu said the state health department had also conducted checks for potential aedes mosquito breeding grounds at 126 schools in the state since the beginning of this year.
In Kuantan, Pahang health director Dr Hasan Abdul Rahman said the department was investigating claims by a woman that it took almost three hours before a doctor attended to her daughter who eventually died of dengue fever.
Let us investigate the matter first. A report will then be submitted to the Health Ministry by next week. We will issue a statement by then, he added.
Rosiah Ismail, 50, claimed that her 16-year-old daughter Wan Noorain Nabilah Wan Ali was not treated promptly when she was taken to hospital.
Maybe the doctors thought that my daughter was having high fever and could be attended to later. However, she was weak and her body was trembling.
My husband and I later received a death certificate stating that my daughter had died of dengue shock syndrome.
Wan Noorain's case came to light after Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob revealed that she was a student at SMK Tengku Afzan, where his wife Datin Seri Junaini Kassim teaches.
He regretted that fogging activities were only carried out after Wan Noorains death.
Kuantan Municipal Council president Datuk Mohamad Safian Ismail said the council would hold a gotong-royong programme at Taman Tas, where Wan Noorain lived, this Sunday as the area was said to have a high number of dengue cases.
We hope it will create awareness on the importance to keep ones place clean and that they will join the gotong-royong, which will be launched by Tengku Mahkota Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah, he said after chairing the full council meeting here yesterday.
Taman Tas is a large residential area, where some 10,000 people reside.