PETALING JAYA: The floods in the east coast claimed two more lives and saw more than 12,000 people evacuated.
Thousands of people in Kelantan, Terengganu and Pahang have been left without electricity supply for the past two days after Tenaga Nasional Bhd was forced to close 331 substations due to the floods.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak told reporters in Kuantan that leave for rescue and emergency services department members had been frozen.
“The authorities have been tasked to open up more relief centres in the three states (Pahang, Kelantan and Terengganu),” he said after visiting evacuees at Dewan Mat Kilau, Paya Besar, yesterday.
Najib advised the people to follow the instructions of the authorities if floods hit their areas.
He said he would visit Kelantan today to oversee the flood situation there.
The two new drowning cases were both in Tanah Merah, Kelantan.
A. Ahmad Shamsul Azman Alias, 20, drowned in floodwaters in Kampung Padang Guchil about noon while Mohd Rozi Seman, 21, was swept away by swift currents at Kampung Cherang Lali at 1.40pm.
The highest number of evacuees in Kelantan were in Tanah Merah (2,470) and Kuala Krai (1,363).
Kelantan police chief SAC I Zuber Shariff said there were 5,794 evacuees at relief centres
He added that seven districts, except Jeli, Pasir Puteh and Bachok, were hit by floods.
Several trunk roads were still impassable to traffic, including the Kota Baru-Kuala Krai road at 41st kilometre near Kampung Sungai Durian heading to Gua Musang.
“The road from Kuala Terengganu to Kelantan is also under water. Motorists intending to go to Kelantan can use the Gerik-Jeli East-West Highway to Machang and to Kota Baru,'' SAC I Zuber said.
Many government offices and business premises in Kota Baru were closed as several roads were still under 1.2m of water.
In Terengganu, the flood situation in the Dungun and Kemaman districts took a turn for the worse yesterday evening, with more people evacuated to relief centres.
State Public Order and Traffic Department head Supt Farid Mahmud said 5,364 people from five districts were at 92 relief centres.
He said the situation in Dungun had deteriorated with 4,033 people evacuated – the highest in four days.
Terengganu police chief SAC I Hussin Ismail said two major roads linking Kuala Terengganu and Kuantan remain closed to light traffic but the road to Kota Baru was now passable.
He also said a search and rescue team had recovered the body of Norhayati Saat whose car was washed away by floodwaters along Kampung Jak road in Ajil on Saturday.
In Pahang, a total 1,755 people have been evacuated so far.
The coastal road between Kuantan and Pekan at Kampung Pahang was under two to six metres of water, making the Inderapura route the only route accessible to traffic between the two towns.
Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) said in a statement that the express train service further north of Gua Musang had yet to resume following a landslip and floods.
It said all express train services from Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Gemas would end at the Gua Musang station while the mail trains would only run between the Kuala Krai and Wakaf Baru stations.
For further information, call KTMB at 03-2267 1200 or its flood operations room in Kuala Krai at 09-966 6169.
Did you find this article insightful?