Shaid’s status as mayor unclear


  • Nation
  • Monday, 13 Dec 2004

BY WONG SAI WAN AND CHOW HOW BAN

PETALING JAYA: It is still unclear whether Datuk Mohmad Shaid Mohd Taufek will be given an extension as the Kuala Lumpur City Hall Mayor as his present contract expires today. 

Shaid confirmed that till yesterday evening he had not received any letter informing him that he would be given a new contract to continue as the mayor. 

When contacted, he said he was leaving it to higher authorities to decide if his tenure as Datuk Bandar was to be extended or not. 

Despite reports in the past few weeks that the Govern- ment intended to give him a one-year extension, speculation had been rife in the last couple of days that Kuala Lumpur was to get a new mayor. 

Sources said the speculation was due to the fact that the 57-year-old Shaid had not received any official letter even though it was reported that he had verbally been told of the extension. 

It was learnt that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi had discussed the question of the extension with several senior officials including Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Mohamed Isa Abdul Samad. 

Shaid was appointed mayor on Dec 14, 2001 taking over the post from Tan Sri Kamaruz- zaman Shariff. 

This is the second time Shaid had worked under Isa. He was the Negri Sembilan State Secretary when Isa was the Mentri Besar. 

Shaid, who is born in Kluang, Johor, has also served in several other agencies and departments, including the South-East Johor Development Authority (Kejora) and the Public Services Department. 

In a related development, a source said the Federal Territories Ministry was looking at a proposal to change the status of the mayor's office into that of a ceremonial post. 

“The idea is to bring the City Hall directly under the ministry.  

“The director-general of City Hall or the director-general in the ministry could manage the City Hall,” said the source.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Let us all pray we can 'balik kampung' this Hari Raya, says Ismail Sabri
Covid-19: Three M'sians among 18 new imported cases in S'pore Thursday (March 4)
No more 'wayang kulit', Umno must decide to quit Perikatan govt immediately, says Ku Li
INTERACTIVE: Why Covid-19 vaccine queue-jumpers are a threat, and what can be done
Bersatu: We have decided
‘Pandemic or not, we are on track’ are completely on track, says Works Minister
‘Vaccine is safe for all ages’
MySejahtera app now tracks your registration progress
80,000-plus have got their Covid-19 jabs already
Moviegoers from same household can sit in pairs

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers