PETALING JAYA: Eight more people have died in the east coast states and more than 10,000 evacuated in floods, which have been described as the worst in recent years.
The floods are expected to worsen with the Meteorological Services Department forecasting heavy rain today in Kelantan, Terengganu and Pahang and intermittent rains tomorrow and Wednesday.
The eight new drowning cases bring the total number of deaths due to floods in the three states to 11 in the past four days.
The floods also affected the movement of some 2,700 National Service trainees to and from Kelantan as the first group of 27,447 youths left for their respective camps yesterday. (Floods hamper trips to NS camps)
Kelantan was the worst hit, with a total of 5,459 people evacuated and five cases of drowning reported.
Kelantan public order chief Supt Alias Muhamad said an Indonesian labourer known only as Iskandar, 24, drowned when he fell into Sungai Galas near a construction site kongsi in Gua Musang at 6.30pm on Saturday.
“At 1.30am today (Sunday), Che Hussein Junoh, 42, disappeared when his boat capsized off Pantai Dasar, Sabak in Pengkalan Chepa and efforts to locate him are ongoing,” he added.
The third victim was a mentally-ill man, Zin Daud, 38, from Kampung Banggol, Chekok in Rantau Panjang, who was swept away while playing in flood waters yesterday.
The other two victims were identified as Thai national Ibrahim Isa who was believed to have been electrocuted and his friend known only as Baharuddin, who drowned in Kuala Krai, Kelantan.
The police operations room reported that Kota Baru had been hit with the worst floods in 15 years, with the town under one to two metres of water.
Tenaga Nasional Berhad cut off electricity to several areas in the town, including to Wisma Persekutuan, which houses federal departments.
Most of the shops in town were closed.
Kelantan Director of Health Datuk Dr Ahmad Razin Ahmad Mahir said 200 patients at the Kota Baru Hospital were transferred to other wards in the hospital’s new building but not those in the intensive care unit.
The floods have also resulted in Kota Baru being cut off from three towns – Gua Musang, Kuala Krai and Machang.
In Terengganu, a woman trapped inside a car was swept away by strong currents and is feared dead while Faiz Mohd Nor, 16, drowned while bathing in an irrigation canal in Marang.
State police chief SAC (I) Hussin Ismail said that in late afternoon, there were 3,603 people at evacuation centres statewide compared to 4,346 in the morning.
“However, the flood situation in Dungun is unchanged and the number of evacuees there has risen to 2,581 people,” he added.
Two main roads remained closed to all vehicles – the Dungun-Bukit Besi road (flooded at KM 16), and Kuala Terengganu-Kuala Berang road (KM 36 and 38).
In Kuantan, the rising number of people evacuated from their flooded homes prompted the authorities to open 10 evacuation centres to accommodate some 450 people.
The first evacuation centre at Sekolah Kebangsaan Cenderawasih currently houses 24 victims.
Kuantan OCPD ACP Jamshah Mustapa said an Indonesian man, known only as Mustafa, 18, was believed to have drowned while bathing in a drain in Taman Mahkota Jaya yesterday.
Did you find this article insightful?