Instant RM300 fine for dangerous driving to stay


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 02 Dec 2004

PUTRAJAYA: Dangerous driving will continue to attract a maximum on-the-spot fine of RM300, first introduced during the recent Ops Sikap

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said yesterday that the Cabinet had agreed to continue using this measure beyond festive seasons to send out a strong message to motorists to behave on the road. 

The five major offences that fall under this category are speeding, reckless driving, overtaking on double lines, overtaking along emergency lanes and beating traffic lights. 

However, this measure will only be implemented during integrated operations involving the police, Road Transport Department (JPJ), Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board and other related agencies. 

Speaking to reporters at his ministry’s Deepavali and Hari Raya open house, Chan said those who could not settle their fines on the spot during such operations would be charged in court. 

He said that apart from this measure, the Cabinet also wanted the watchtowers that were built during Ops Sikap to be made a permanent feature along the North-South Expressway. 

The police, he said, had also been directed to build more watchtowers along federal and state roads as they had been found to be very effective in encouraging motorists to be more careful on the road. 

“The Cabinet also wants the JPJ and the police to carry out more operations along stretches that have been identified as accident-prone nationwide to deter motorists from speeding or driving dangerously,” he said. 

He said the JPJ and the police were now electronically linked, enabling all notices issued by the police to be reflected in the JPJ database. 

This meant that those who did not respond to police notices or settle their summonses would be blacklisted and barred from renewing their driving licences, road tax and public service vehicle licences, he said. 

On the suggestion by the police for driving licenses to be made renewable on yearly basis, Chan said the proposal and the recommendation to limit the number of occupants in passenger cars were being studied by the JPJ. 

The study would take some time and the outcome would be presented to the Cabinet Committee on Road Safety chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi for a final decision, he said. 

Chan also thanked the media for its support of the road safety campaign launched by the Government during the recent holiday period and expressed hope that the media would continue to do so in future.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Govt intensifying efforts to improve marketability of graduates, says Saravanan
Body of drowning victim in Batang Kali found
Sabah floods: 69 flood victims currently at two relief centres
Covid-19: Refer to ventilation system guides to prevent infection spread, says Health DG
Health Ministry's winding-up the expected focus in Parliament on Wednesday (Sept 23)
Nepalese woman arrested after baby found dead at hostel
Covid-19 death toll almost 25,000 after 487 more fatalities reported on Wednesday (Sept 22)
Do you know... about the black panthers in Malaysia?
Parents get assurance
Parents fail to get their kids jabbed without an appointment

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers