Fatal error that cost two lives

  • Nation
  • Friday, 05 Nov 2004

KAJANG: Fresh from her graduation at the local kindergarten, little Sia Chai Yu was looking forward to celebrating her sixth birthday next month. 

Her dream, however, ended in a tragic accident at the SILK highway on Wednesday that took both her life and her mother's and left a two-year-old sister badly injured. 

An elder sister survived the accident, which happened while the four of them were crossing the six-lane highway during a downpour while on their way from the kindergarten to their home at Taman Bukit Mewah on the other side. Another sister, seven-year-old Chai Di, was at school when the accident occurred. 

In the 5.35pm incident, Yong Yip Wai, 31, was crossing the road with baby Chai Fon in one arm and leading Chai Yu with the other hand. Ten-year-old Chai Yung walked with them. 

They ignored a pedestrian bridge, about 150m away, and chose to cross the road as there was a gap in the divider, which, they felt, could lead them faster to the other side in the pouring rain. 

IN HAPPIER TIMES: (Clockwise) Yong and her daughters, Chai Fon, Chai Yu and Chai Di in a family picture.

As they rushed across the road, a Proton Wira that was driving from Bandar Baru Bangi towards Bandar Runching, Semenyih, rammed into Yong and the two younger girls. 

“My mama just laid there and never woke up again,” said a teary Chai Yung, when met at the family home yesterday. 

Yong died on the spot and Chai Fon, who suffered head and hand injuries, was warded to the intensive care unit at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital where her condition was reported to be stable. She is, however, still unconscious (at press time).  

Chai Yung said she had asked her mother to use the pedestrian bridge but Yong said it was better to cross the road as it was a faster way back home and there was a gap in the divider which they could use. 

Chai Yung said she had wanted to buy Chai Yu her favourite sweets on her birthday, but it is too late now. 

Her father, Sia Wan Huat, 33, was also tight-lipped when approached for an interview. 

Yong's sister-in-law Lynert Goh said Sia loved his family very much and had been crying since the accident. 

“He is a family-oriented man who always brings his children to pasar malam.  

“They (Chai Yung and Chai Di) are well aware of what is happening and even consoled their father when he cried. 

“Chai Yung has calmed down now but they begin to cry whenever they see their mother's belongings and the vegetables that she has planted,” she said. 

Kajang public order and traffic police chief Deputy Supt Zainudin Mahadi said police had recorded the 42-year-old car driver's statement but said he would not be charged for reckless driving. 

“Our investigations revealed that the accident could have been avoided if the mother and three children from Taman Bukit Mewah used the pedestrian bridge,” he said yesterday.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site