1. Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan(Rantau assemblyman, Negri Sembilan)Age: 48
The first-term Negri Sembilan Mentri Besar was the managing director of Cycle and Carriage Bintang Bhd before taking up his present post. He is the Rembau division chief.
2. Datuk Zainal Abidin Zin(Bagan Serai MP, Perak)Age: 64
The Deputy Defence Minister won the Bagan Serai parliamentary seat in all but two general elections since 1982. The former teacher stood as a Semangat 46 candidate when he failed to retain the seat in 1990 and 1995.
3. Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman Incumbent (appointed)(Serom assemblyman, Johor)Age: 58
The third-term Johor Mentri Besar was a lecturer and faculty dean at Universiti Malaya. He was the Youth and Sports Minister from 1993 to 1995. He has a bachelor’s degree in economics and a master’s degree in political economy.
4. Datuk Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis Incumbent(Rompin MP, Pahang) Age: 53
The Science, Technology and Innovations Minister used to be a lecturer at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. He was first elected Rompin MP in 1990. He was a former Tenaga Nasional chairman.
5. Datuk Shafie Apdal Incumbent(Semporna MP, Sabah)Age: 47
The Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister has been a supreme council member since 1996. An economics graduate from England, he was also a Sabah Umno Youth chief.
6. Datuk Seri Md Salleh Md Said Keruak Incumbent(Kota Belud MP, Sabah)Age: 47
The former Sabah Chief Minister (1994-96) is seeking his third term in the supreme council. He has held various other posts in the Sabah state cabinet including Finance Minister.
7. Datuk Mohd Zin Mohamed (Sepang MP, Selangor)Age: 50
The Deputy Works Minister is an engineer-turned-politician. He served as Sungai Renggam assemblyman from 1995 and then as Shah Alam MP from 1999 before he won the Sepang seat in March.
8. Datuk Zahidi Zainul Abidin (Beseri assemblyman, Perlis)Age: 44
The Perlis exco member is also Padang Besar division chief. He graduated in political science from the Irish International University, England.
9. Datuk Noh Omar (Tanjung Karang MP, Selangor)Age: 46
The Deputy Internal Security Minister was a teacher and lawyer before becoming a politician. He was the parliamentary secretary in the Prime Minister’s Department.
10. Datuk Tajuddin Abdul Rahman (Kampong Gajah assemblyman,Perak)Age: 56
The Pasir Salak division chief has gone through many ups and downs in his 30 years political career. In 1995, he was sacked from the party for allegedly practising money politics. However, he was re-accepted into the party in 1998.
11. Datuk Ahmad Zahid Hamidi Incumbent
The Deputy Tourism Minister is a third-term MP. He was briefly detained under the Internal Security Act in 1998. He was elected into supreme council in 2000. He was Umno Youth chief from 1996 to 1998.
12. Datuk Dr Norraesah Mohamad Incumbent (appointed)
The corporate figure is a Wanita exco member.She holds a doctorate in economics and international finance from University of Paris I Patheon-Sorbonne. She is the first woman in Malaysia to be appointed a chairman of a bank.
13. Datuk Abdul Rashid Abdullah (Sungai Bakap assemblyman, Penang)Age: 56
The Deputy Penang Chief Minister joined Umno in 1970. A sociology graduate from Universiti Malaya, he also has a master’s degree in public policy and public administration from University of Southern California.
14. Tengku Putera Tengku Awang (Hulu Terengganu MP, Terengganu)Age: 45
The Deputy Finance Minister is the Hulu Terengganu division chief. An economics graduate, he served as bank officer and later branch manager of Bank Bumiputra before joining politics.
15. Datuk Azalina Othman Said Incumbent (appointed)(Pengerang MP, Johor)Age: 40
Appointed Puteri Umno pro-tem chairman when the wing was launched in 2001, Azalina is currently the Youth and Sports Minister, the first woman to hold the post. She was formerly a television forum anchor and lawyer before venturing into politics.
16. Datuk Lajim UkinIncumbent (Klias assemblyman, Sabah)Age: 49
The former Sabah Deputy Chief Minister has been a member of the past four ruling parties in Sabah. He was a member of USNO, Berjaya and PBS. He quit PBS to join Umno in 1994.
17. Datuk Astaman Abdul Aziz (Titiwangsa MP, Federal Territory)Age: 51
The first-term MP is the son of veteran Wanita leader Tan Sri Aishah Ghani. A mechanical engineer by training, he has business interest in ammunition and security industries. He is Wangsa Maju division chief.
18. Datuk Dr Affifuddin Omar (Kuala Nerang assemblyman, Kedah)Age: 61
The agronomist-turned-politician was once the Deputy Finance and Human Resources Minister. He headed the Muda Agricultural Development Authority (MADA) before resigning to stand in the 1986 elections.
19. Datuk Azmi KhalidIncumbent(Padang Besar MP, Perlis)Age: 63
The Home Minister has joined Umno since 1965. A Universiti Malaya arts graduate, he later furthered his education at the Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, Netherlands in analytical studies.
20. Datuk Hamzah ZainuddinAge: 47
The Felcra chairman was appointed as Senators Club president in June. The former Youth exco member is now the Ipoh Barat division chief.
21. Datuk Dr Abdul Latiff Ahmad(Mersing MP, Johor)Age: 46
A former medical officer and hospital director, Dr Abdul Latiff is currently the Deputy Health Minister. A former deputy Johor Youth chief, he now heads the Mersing division.
22. Datuk Abdul Rahman Bakar(Marang MP, Terengganu)Age: 51
The Deputy Human Resources Minister is best remembered for defeating PAS president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang twice in the general elections - the first in 1986 and again this year - for the Marang seat.
23. Datuk Shaziman Abu Mansor(Tampin MP, Negri Sembilan)Age: 40
The Deputy Energy, Water and Communications Minister is a Youth exco member. The US-trained engineer is making his debut in the supreme council race.
24. Datuk Annuar Musa Incumbent(Kok Lanas assemblyman, Kelantan)Age: 48
The former Cabinet Minister hopes to defend the supreme council seat he has held since 1991. Graduated in urban and regional planning, he was once the assistant director of town planning in Kuala Lumpur City Council.
25. Datuk Suhaili Abdul Rahman(Labuan MP, Federal Territory)Age: 42
The England-trained graduate in economics and marketing strategy joined Umno when he was 20 years old. This businessman is a second-term MP and the Labuan division chief.
26. Datuk Paduka Abdul Kadir Sheikh FadzirIncumbent (Kulim-Bandar Baru MP, Kedah)Age: 65
The Information Minister was a clerk and teacher before joining politics. He was elected to Umno supreme council in 1984 with the third highest number of votes.
27. Datuk Dr Shafie Salleh Incumbent (Kuala Langat MP, Selangor)Age: 58
The Higher Education Minister is a third-term MP. He is a sociology and development graduate from Universiti Malaya, Western Michigan University (Masters) and Swansea University (PhD).
28. Datuk Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah(Tambun MP, Perak)Age: 52
The three-term MP is currently the Deputy International Trade and Industry Minister. An economics graduate and former bank manager, he was also the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board chairman.
29. Tan Sri Dr Mohamed Yusof Noor Incumbent Age: 63
The former Cabinet Minister from Terengganu now heads Felda. He is Besut division vice-chairman. He was once the Umno Information chief.
30. Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor(Putrajaya MP, Federal Territory)Age: 54
A former Senator and Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department, Tengku Adnan was also the chairman and director of several companies. A former Umno executive secretary, he is the Federal Territory Umno liaison chief.
31. Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim Incumbent (appointed)(Tambun Tulang assemblyman, Perlis) Age: 53
The Perlis Menteri Besar is a third-term assemblyman. He graduated from Universiti Malaya with a degree in economics and arts. He has a masters in development studies from the University of Holland.
32. Datuk Ghapur Salleh(Kalabakan MP, Sabah)Age : 61
Another Sabah Deputy Chief Minister, he started his political career in the 1970s with Berjaya. He joined Umno in 1991 and is now the Tawau division chief.
33. Datuk Osu Sukam Incumbent (appointed)(Papar MP, Sabah)Age: 55
The former Sabah Chief Minister is seeking his fourth term as supreme council member. He was a civil servant. He was also the Land and Co-operative Development Minister from 1994 to 1998.
34. Datuk Mohd Johari Baharum (Kubang Pasu MP, Kedah)Age: 50
The parliamentary secretary in the Prime Minister’s Department was a teacher. He is the first political secretary to the Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
35. Tengku Azlan Sultan Abu Bakar (Jerantut MP, Pahang)Age: 55
The Deputy Transport Minister was once a youth leader and supreme council member of Semangat 46. He rejoined Umno in 1996.
36. Datuk Seri Dr Hilmi Yahaya Incumbent (Balik Pulau MP, Penang)Age: 55
A former Penang deputy Chief Minister, he is a medical doctor by profession. Currently the Finance Ministry’s parliamentary secretary, Dr Hilmi is also Penang Umno state liaison deputy chief.
37. Datuk Mahadzir Mohd Khir (Sungai Petani MP, Kedah)Age: 59
The Deputy Education Minister was a political science graduate and lecturer at University Malaya. He was the Education Ministry’s parliamentary secretary.
38. Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar (Kota Tinggi MP, Johor)Age: 60
A lawyer by training, the Foreign Minister is the founder president of the London Umno Club. He was a magistrate and a session's judge before joining the corporate world and politics.
39. Datuk Seri Syed Razak Syed Zain Incumbent (appointed)(Kubang Rotan assemblyman, Kedah)Age: 60
The second-term Kedah Mentri Besar ventured into politics in the early 1970s. The former businessman and Kedah Malay Chamber of Commerce and Industry president is also the Kuala Kedah Umno division chief.
40. Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil (Lembah Pantai MP, Federal Territory) Age: 51
The Women, Family and Community Development Minister has already won the deputy Wanita Umno chief post uncontested for the second term. She was a magistrate and later set up her own law firm before entering active politics.
41. Datuk Mohamed Khaled Nordin(Pasir Gudang MP, Johor)Age: 46
The Entrepreneurial and Co-operative Development Minister is a law graduate from Universiti Malaya. He started his career as legal officer for Petronas. Later, he became the political secretary to his mentor Datuk Shahrir Abdul Samad when the latter was a Cabinet Minister in the 1980s.
42. Datuk Abdul Aziz ShamsuddinIncumbent (Shah Alam MP, Selangor)Age: 66
The Rural and Regional Development Minister was a teacher. The literature graduate served as political secretary to former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad until 1999 when he was made a senator and appointed as Deputy Education Minister.
43. Datuk Hassan Harun Incumbent Age: 58
The prominent corporate figure was one of two Umno supreme council members elected in 2000 who were without a government post. Hassan is the chairman of KUB Malaysia Bhd, which is a home-grown conglomerate with ventures in ICT, properties and plantations.
44. Datuk Seri Mohd Shariff Omar (Tasek Gelugor MP, Penang)Age: 57
The second-term Deputy Agriculture and Agro-based Minister was a civil servant. The economics graduate majoring in rural development from Universiti Malaya had served in a few states, including Pahang and Perak.
45. Tan Sri Dr Abdul Hamid Othman Incumbent Age: 65
The Religious Advisor to the Prime Minister has vast credentials in Islamic affairs. He holds a doctorate in Syariah studies from a university in Scotland. The former lecturer of Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia was once a Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department.
46. Datuk Dr Awang Adek Hussin (Bachok MP, Kelantan)Age: 48
The Deputy Rural and Regional Development Minister is an academician-turned-politician. A former Universiti Sains Malaysia lecturer, Dr Awang was the Tenaga Nasional Bhd chairman before he stood in the March general election.
47. Datuk Seri Musa Aman Incumbent (appointed)(Sungai Sibuga assemblyman, Sabah)Age: 53
The second-term Sabah Chief Minister was a businessman. He was Sabah Bumiputera Chamber of Commerce chairman for more than 10 years. He obtained an MBA while serving as a Minister in the Chief Minister’s Department between 1999 and 2001.
48. Datuk Ishak Ismail (Lenggeng assemblyman, Negri Sembilan)Age: 53
The Seremban division chief is known as the first Malay on government sponsorship to have returned from overseas with three professional qualifications - building surveyor, real estate valuator and quantity surveyor in 1975.
49. Datuk Anifah Aman(Kimanis MP, Sabah)Age: 51
The Deputy Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister was practicing law before taking up active politics. The England-trained graduate in philosophy, economics and law, is the brother of current Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Musa Aman.
50. Datuk Seri Dr Mohamad Khir ToyoIncumbent (appointed)(Sungai Panjang assemblyman, Selangor) Age: 39
The second-term Selangor Mentri Besar was appointed to the post at the age of 35. A dentist by profession, he was a Youth exco member from 2000 to 2003.
51. Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Tamby ChikAge: 53
The former Malacca Chief Minister wants to make a comeback into mainstream politics after nearly seven years in political wilderness. He was a former Youth chief. He is now a businessman and chairman of Malacca’s Yayasan Penggerak Wawasan.
Did you find this article insightful?