40 summonses against bus


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 18 Aug 2004

SEREMBAN: Forty summonses had been issued against the bus that was involved in the accident on Monday that killed four passengers, including two siblings. 

State traffic chief Asst Supt Mohd Shahar Ibrahim said 37 of the summonses were issued on the registration number of the bus and the other three to individuals. 

He said they were still checking the background of the bus driver and whether he had been fined. 

“We have yet to detain him as we are still gathering evidence and eye-witnesses accounts of the incident. 

“We will investigate the case under reckless driving resulting in death,” he said, adding that they would record statements from the injured passengers. 

During the 5.30pm accident at the 252nd kilometre of the North-South Expressway near Senawang here, three of the passengers died on the spot and another in hospital. 

The dead were siblings Ngow Ah Mui, 63, and Ngow Su Teh, 57, who had boarded the bus in Malacca to attend a relative’s funeral in Kuala Lumpur. 

Ah Mui died on the spot while Su Teh died at about 9pm at Seremban Hospital, where she was rushed to by passers-by. 

The other dead were R. Pathiyil, 37, of Bukit Baru, Malacca, and China national Wang Jinli. 

Bus driver Ahmad Daud Ja’apar, 36, who is warded at Seremban Hospital, denied that he was speeding before ramming into the parked trailer. 

“I was trying to avoid a car in front. I swerved to the left and then hit the trailer,” he said yesterday. 

“I did not know that it was not moving as there were no safety cones to indicate it had broken down.” 

Ahmad added that he had worked for the bus company for the past four years. He was previously on the Malacca-Singapore route before switching to the Malacca-Kuala Lumpur route three months ago.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site