PUTRAJAYA: The days of ugly and unregulated telecommunication structures blighting the skyline of Kuala Lumpur are numbered.
Soon, towers indiscriminately erected by telecommunication companies (telcos) will be torn down and relocated to several common areas.
Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Mohamed Isa Abdul Samad said a one-stop centre would be set up to identify the common areas and liaise with all telcos on where they could construct these structures.
“We discussed this matter with the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) on Monday and the one-stop centre will be set up soon to cover Kuala Lumpur and here.
“This means that telcos which plan to put up new towers will need to liaise with this one-stop centre that will decide on the most suitable location,” he said after chairing his ministry’s post-Cabinet meeting yesterday.
Isa said his ministry would work closely with the MCMC in deciding the best location for the towers. He said seven locations here had been identified where the various telcos could share the towers.
However, he said, more time was needed for the ministry and City Hall to identify suitable locations in Kuala Lumpur so that all the unsightly towers which had been erected by the telcos could be relocated.
He added that they were identifying new locations for future development.
“Now each telco puts up its towers wherever it pleases, including on top of buildings and they mar the city skyline.
“We have received many complaints about unsightly telecommunication towers,” he added.