PENANG: A two-year-old boy died of heatstroke after he was accidentally locked in his fathers car in Teluk Bahang yesterday.
Amirul Syafiq Ismail was playing with his six-year-old brother and several cousins in the car at about 12.30pm when one of them accidentally engaged the central locking button.
A passer-by saw the boy lying motionless in the back seat at about 1pm and alerted his carpenter father Ismail Mohd 33, who was renovating a house nearby.
Balik Pulau OCPD Supt Abdul Wahab Embong said the two brothers and their cousins, who were all staying nearby, were playing in the car parked under the hot sun when the incident happened.
Without realising that the young boy was inside the locked vehicle, the others left to go to a nearby sundry shop to buy sweets and ice-cream.
It was only about 30 minutes later that a passer-by spotted the motionless body and alerted the father, he said.
He said Ismail immediately rushed his son to a nearby clinic but the boy was pronounced dead on arrival.
Supt Abdul Wahab said Ismail lodged a police report over the incident.
He said police had classified the case as sudden death and had recorded the father's statement.
Amiruls grandmother, Aisah Saad, 57, said the boy was the youngest of her six grandchildren.
A post-mortem conducted at the Balik Pulau Hospital showed that Amirul died of a heatstroke, a condition in which the body becomes overheated quickly.
The remains of the boy were laid to rest at the near-
by Muslim cemetery yesterday.