No notification on arrest of Malaysians, says consul-general


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 08 Apr 2004

DANOK (THAILAND): Malaysia has yet to be notified of any arrest of dual citizenship holders by the Thai authorities in connection with the unrest in the southern provinces. 

A Malaysian consul-general office spokesman in Songkhla said there was no official notification of such arrests except for allegations in news reports. 

Southern Thailand namely the Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat provinces had been rocked by a series of bombings, brutal murders, thefts of explosives material and arms since January.  

The unrest spread to nearby Songkhla province where Haadyai was situated and this had generated fear about the safety of tourists in southern Thailand. 

In a related development, newly appointed Malaysian Consul-General Azizan Ismail led a team to survey the safety conditions at the border township of Danok on Monday evening. 

The survey was conducted as part of the team’s familiarisation tour of the border townships and to gauge the security standards there. 

The team also comprised consul Lokman Jamanan, vice-consul Rosli Ismail and Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board (Thai-based) director Sani Sham Ahmad. 

The spokesman said initial findings revealed that tourism activities in Danok, which borders Bukit Kayu Hitam (the main gateway to southern Thailand by road), were unaffected. 

However, the spokesman noted that there was a slight drop in the number of Malaysians visiting Danok after the bomb blast in the border town of Sungai Golok which injured seven Malaysians.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site