KUALA LUMPUR: After two days, the national service programme is proceeding smoothly with trainees in all 41 camps adapting well and beginning to enjoy the activities.
On their part, the authorities are taking no chances by putting in place all safety measures possible to protect the trainees at all times.
The NS operations room monitoring the situation at the camps, has promised to look into problems that had cropped up.
National Service Training Department Director-General Kamaruzaman Mohd Noor said based on feedback from the camp directors, the trainees seemed to be in high spirits and were keen to participate in the activities.
“Trainees have settled in well and have been divided into groups making it easier to manage the situation. The camp chiefs will report to the operations centre of any problems and we will act immediately,” he told a press conference at the department’s headquarters here yesterday.
Among the areas to be closely monitored, he said, were the quality of food, water supply and telephone service.
He said the first three days of the week would focus on registration, distribution of uniforms and training equipment, division of trainees according to groups, briefing on the training operations and procedures.
On complaints by some parents and trainees on the food, he said: “We take this matter very seriously. Camp operators have been told to pay special attention to this.
“We have advised trainees with dietary restrictions and allergies to inform the operators so as to ensure that special meals are prepared for them,” he added.
On uniforms, he said each camp had been provided with tailors who would make on-the-spot alterations if required.
“In the event of water shortages, we have the Water Supply Department and army regiment camps nearby to supply water immediately.”
Kamaruzaman said all camps would be provided with telephone facilities and those located in areas prone to lightning hits had been installed with lighting arresters.
“Camp commandants and trainers have also been directed not to carry out activities outside during bad weather for the safety of the trainees.”
To date, he said 32 camps had been provided with telephone facilities.
As at 5pm yesterday, he said of 26,559 trainees slotted for the first batch, 25,497 had reported to the camps.
“The others are given until Monday to register themselves,” adding that they would be slotted in for the second and third batches.
He also clarified that there were 6,937 untraceable trainees of whom 1,076 were slotted for the first batch, 2,953 for the second and 2,808 for the third.
“We would like trainees and their parents or guardians to contact our call centre at 03-2681 3446 if there is any problem.”
He said the NS Council would meet on Feb 27 to discuss the minor hiccups and work out ways to avoid recurrence during the registration of the second and third batches on March 22.
In Lumut, Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali has “adopted” the 334 national service trainees at the Segari Camp in the Manjung district.
He told the trainees during a visit to the camp on Tuesday that they could consider him and his wife Datin Seri Kamariah Mokri as their “father and mother” while they were in Perak.
Tajol Rosli, who said they could contact him whenever they had problems, added that the trainees would be treated to a high tea at his residence after they completed their training.
He later visited the 786 trainees at the Kampung Baru camp in Air Tawar. The third camp in Perak, with 816 trainees, is in Teluk Rubiah in the same district.
Segari camp commander Mej (Rtd) Ali Al-Husaini told reporters that all the trainees were adapting well to their new environment.
Related stories:NS absentees committing a crime, says Najib