IPOH: A 60-year-old woman, who was among six people believed to have come down with food poisoning, died at the Gerik Hospital yesterday.
State Health, Science, Technology and Environment Committee chairman Datuk Ho Cheng Wang said the post-mortem report stated that Yee Yuet Lai had died not because of food poisoning but due to food particles blocking her respiratory system following excessive vomiting.
Yee and five of her family members from Kg Baru Ayer Kala in Lenggong, were believed to have come down with food poisoning after their family reunion lunch on Wednesday.
“We suspect that they had come down with food poisoning due to the sea water prawns as one of the two family members who did not show any symptoms of food poisoning had only eaten the fresh water prawns,'' said Ho, who visited Yee’s daughter-in-law who identified herself as only Joyce at a private hospital here yesterday.
He added that eight people from the family had lunch during their family gathering at 1.30pm on Wednesday.
“At 3pm, Yee and another family member started to vomit and complained of stomach pains.
“Yee was vomiting continuously on the way to the hospital and felt unconscious upon reaching the hospital,” he added.
He said Yee and four of her family members were admitted to the hospital while Joyce, 30, was rushed to the private hospital here.
Ho said Yee, who was a delegate from Lenggong to the MCA annual general assembly, would be cremated next week.
He added that he had given RM3,000 to her family on behalf of Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali and the state government for funeral expenses.