Another two held over RM300mil land scam


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 22 Jan 2004

BY PARVEEN GILL

SHAH ALAM: Two more people have been detained in connection with the RM300mil land scam in Selangor. 

This brings the number of people held since Friday to seven. However, two have been released. 

One of the suspects arrested yesterday was a 21-year-old clerk. 

He was nabbed at 9.30am at the state Lands and Mines Department, an hour before police picked up a 26-year-old settlement officer at his home in Bukit Jelutong. 

A source told The Star that both men, who have been working with the Selangor land office for the past two years, have been remanded until Monday.  

 

Another source said two other suspects, who were detained at the land office on Monday, were released on police bail yesterday. 

 

“The 32-year-old clerk and his 27-year-old female co-worker were released because investigations revealed they were unaware that their colleagues had used their computer password to access the data system before transferring the land titles to a third party’s name,” he said. 

 

Contacted by The Star, state police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mohd Noor Hamat confirmed the latest two arrests and release of two suspects. 

 

The Star reported last week that a syndicate had used information supplied by their cohorts at the Selangor land office to sell, mortgage or even use as collateral land belonging to others. 

The syndicate’s activities were unveiled on Friday, when police nabbed a 23-year-old man at the land office. 

 

Investigations had revealed that 482.44ha of land, valued at approximately RM130mil, were transacted without the knowledge of landowners since last year. 

 

Some of the properties were expensive, due to their strategic locations such as near highway projects.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

PM Ismail Sabri calls on 'Malaysian Family' to pray for recovery of unconscious firefighter
Dr M defends decision to drop Pulau Batu Puteh review application
Umno yet to decide on electoral pact for Melaka polls, says Tok Mat
Senior corporate lawyer freed of four insider dealing charges
Pakatan yet to decide on accepting four Melaka reps who triggered collapse of state govt, says Anwar
Actor Fauzi Nawawi apologises for 'rape joke' made during interview
Flash floods hit several neighbourhoods in Klang, 31 evacuated to relief shelters
Man, woman found dead at PPR in Setapak Jaya
Prosecution's evidence irrelevant to Zahid's charges, says defence lawyer
Fireman passes out while trying to save flood victim in Melaka

Others Also Read


Vouchers