SEREMBAN: The contract awarded to a local contractor to build the Nilai indoor stadium for the coming 10th Malaysia Games has been terminated with immediate effect, Mentri Besar Tan Sri Mohamed Isa Abdul Samad said.
He said the decision was made at the state exco meeting yesterday after the contractor – Ikatan Asas Sdn Bhd – failed to complete the stadium according to schedule.
“Despite giving them several extensions, the contractor failed to complete the task and reneged on their assurances.
“This has seriously affected our preparations as the host state for the Games.
“We have lost our patience and faith in the contractor and we feel that they would not be able to complete the remaining 21% of the construction work.
“The state Works Department is now doing some calculations on the overall project and will be appointing a new contractor to resume the work as soon as possible,” he said yesterday.
Mohd Isa said the new contractor would have to employ more workers and work longer hours to complete the job.
“We are confident that if the work resumes by early February, the stadium will be ready for a dry run before the Games,” he said, adding that the RM45mil stadium was due to be completed by the end of last year.
He declined to specify what kind of action would be taken against the contractor or the amount of compensation involved.
Mohd Isa also declined to reveal the status of the Tuanku Abdul Rahman Stadium in Paroi which is being built by the same contractor.
“The stadium in Paroi is almost ready except for the seats but we have yet to decide on this matter,” he said, adding that they had no problems with other venues.
The Games are scheduled to run from May 28 to June 6.