Eight IIU undergraduates missing after mountain trek

  • Nation
  • Monday, 12 Jan 2004


KAJANG: Six International Islamic University (IIU) undergraduates, who scaled up Gunung Nuang, near here, two days ago, are feared to be lost in the forested hill. 

Two others who went to search for them have also been stranded. 

The eight were among 19 climbers from the university who had gone up the 1,493m hill without the permission of the Forestry Department, it is learnt.  

The group had started its journey at 9.50am on Saturday and was due to return by 7pm yesterday. 

However, 13 members of the group made it down the hill by the afternoon. The six who did not return with them were identified as: Mohd Lokman Hakim Johar, 21; Azizi Idris, 19; Aminur Anwar Abdul Wahab, 19; Syed Putra Syed Abu Bakar, 19; Nasrul Hadi Mohd Tauhid, 19 and Mohd Shukri Drahman, 21. 

Later, two hikers from another group came down to say they met some undergraduates at the peak at about 2pm. 

On hearing this, two students – Kharrudin Yahya, 20, and Amar Osman, 21, – volunteered to go back to the hill to look for their friends. The two have not returned.  

Hiker Mohd Isa Abdul Kadir, 28, a Public Bank employee, said he bumped into the missing students at the mountain peak and they were without food and water. 

“One of the undergraduates was so weak that his nail had turned white. He was unconscious. 

“My friend and I had only a bottle of mineral water and we left it with them,” he said, adding that Kharrudin and Amar rushed up the hill with water and food for their university friends. 

“However, I do not think that the food and water will reach them in time because the mist was already thick when the two climbers left at about 6pm,” he said. 

A search and rescue operation, mounted by the Hulu Langat district police, Fire and Rescue Department and orang asli villagers, started at about 3pm yesterday after a student, who was not part of the expedition, received an SOS call on her cellular telephone from one of the missing hikers. 

Several climbers of the first group, who had come down safely, were at the Bt 18 Hulu Langat police station, but declined to comment on what happened during their journey. 

On Jan 14, 2002 a mountain expedition member who got lost in the mountain after being separated from her group, was found 15 hours later by rescuers. 

In March 2000, some 20 rescuers brought down eight students from Universiti Tenaga Nasional, who were stranded while climbing the mountain. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site