17 years’ jail and cane for Thai man

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 20 Dec 2003


KUALA LUMPUR: A Thai farmer was jailed 17 years and ordered to be caned three times for attempting to murder a policeman and causing hurt to a Red Crescent volunteer worker at the KL Hospital last month. 

Sessions Court judge Akhtar Tahir jailed Sitthichai Palama 15 years after he admitted to have tried to kill Kons Eruandy Saini, 22, by firing a shot from a revolver and causing injury to him at the hospital at 7.28pm on Nov 27.  

PAINFUL LESSON: Thai farmer Sitthichai Palama (front) at the Sessions Court in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

Akhtar jailed Sitthichai, 30, another two years and ordered for him to be whipped three times after he pleaded guilty to voluntarily causing hurt to Tee Kim Lean, 23, with a revolver at the same place and time. 

Akhtar, who ordered the sentences to run consecutively, said he had to view the offences committed by Sitthichai as very serious. 

“The facts showed the accused had acted violently and could be a danger to others in society.  

“Therefore, the appropriate punishment for the accused is a longer jail sentence to serve as a lesson to him and thus avoiding him from posing any danger to society,” Akhtar said in his judgment. 

The judge, who did not accept the guilty plea of Sitthichai on the third charge of attempting to murder Kons Razisham Dan, 21, by firing at him at the same place and time, and fixed Jan 20 for mention. 

Akhtar rejected the plea as he found that facts presented by the prosecution did not show the offence as per its charge. 

As soon as the judgment was delivered, Sitthichai, who appeared calm, bowed his head to show his respect to the judge. 

Pleading for leniency earlier, Sitthichai, from Kampung Mengrai in Chiang Rai, said he had committed the offence because of personal pressure. 

“My parents in Thailand are old and they needed money from me but I could not afford to send any cash back to them. This had become a pressure to me causing me to commit the offence. 

“I came to Malaysia only two days before my arrest to find a job and to be able to send money back. I did not plan to commit any offence in this country. 

“I apologise to you and I beg your mercy to send me to a jail which is near to the Thai border for the convenience of my family members to visit me later,” he said through a Thai interpreter. 

Sitthichai, who also works as a porter, told Akhtar that he had attempted to take his own life before committing the offences as he had asked for a transfer but was denied.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Nation

Two broadcasters now willing to air cabotage debate, says Wee
Oil palm plantations in dire need of workers
Any bipartisan deal with Opposition in Sabah should involve Warisan, says SAPP
Man slashes housemate to death in argument over mobile phone
Action taken against 63 MACC personnel over past five years
Wisma Putra monitoring political developments in Sudan following military takeover
Bank officer under probe over purchase of gold bars using his customers' FD deposits
Dr Noor Azmi: Tighter SOP in Melaka as transmission rate and cases still high
Covid-19: Daily cases dip below 5,000, with 7,414 recoveries recorded
People need to be assured of their place in Malaysian Family, says Sultan Nazrin

Others Also Read