Terengganu flood situation improves


  • Nation
  • Monday, 01 Dec 2003

BY K. SUTHAKAR

KUALA TERENGGANU: Although the flood situation in Terengganu has improved, 650 people are still staying at the 14 relief centres in three affected districts. 

Dungun has the highest number with 509 evacuees followed by Marang (99) and Kemaman (42). 

State police operations officer Asst Supt Setapa Yusoff, who is in charge of the police flood operations centre, said more people were returning to their homes. 

He said 51 people in Dungun returned to their homes at about noon when floodwaters receded yesterday. 

“We are glad that there are no reported injuries or deaths so far,” he said. 

He said all main roads in the state were opened to traffic including stretches such as Jabor-Jerangau and Jalan Terengganu-Kuala Berang which were closed on Saturday. 

ASP Setapa said the public could enquire about the flood situation by calling the police hotline at 09-627 0499. 

State Health Department deputy director Dr Anwa Sulaiman said the hospital’s male and female ward would be opened today and the maternity and paediatric wards on Tuesday. 

He said the floods did not cause any damage to hospital equipment although about 100 records of patients were soaked. 

Dr Anwa said the Public Works Department (PWD) had cleared the debris from the clogged drains yesterday morning. 

State Umno liaison committee deputy chairman Datuk Idris Jusoh, who visited the Dungun Hospital, said one of the main reasons for the floods were clogged monsoon drains. 

He appealed to the PWD and the local authorities to look into the matter. 

Idris also visited the SK Batu Empat Puluh Lapan flood relief centre which houses 159 people from Kampung Paya Balai Besar.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Couple sentenced to death for murdering daughter in Terengganu
Malaysian woman, Pakistani man found dead in KL flat
Larry Sng, Steven Choong sacked from PKR
Muhyiddin: Declaration of Emergency not due to politics, appropriate move in response to health crisis
Muhyiddin shows his mettle in his first year as Prime Minister
Kedah MB gets his Covid-19 vaccination, urges public to have positive attitude to immunisation programme
Deputy Speaker: Parliament not reconvening on March 8
Covid-19: Nine more clusters reported, total cases breach 300,000
Khairy: Ministry monitoring allegations of Covid-19 vaccine queue-jumping
Covid-19: Cases up by 2,437 bringing total to 300,752 (updated daily)

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers