Motorists confused over diversion


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 27 Nov 2003

PETALING JAYA: There was massive confusion among northbound motorists using the New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE) when PLUSRonda officers diverted traffic into the Subang interchange after a rockslide at the 21st kilometre here.  

Those unfamiliar with the alternative routes got lost and were seen pulling to the side of the road at the Subang toll plaza to get help from friends and relatives via cellular phones or to ask for directions from fellow motorists.  

At 5pm yesterday, about 30 vehicles bearing outstation registration plates were seen getting directions from other motorists while many more were trying to make their way to the emergency lanes to stop and figure out the route to take. 

“There aren’t enough signboards to tell us how to drive up north and we are totally confused as to which way to go,” said civil servant Fakaruddin Tahir, 42, who was returning to Ipoh after spending his Hari Raya holidays with relatives in Sepang. 

Student R. Anthony, 18, who was with his elderly parents, said he spent five hours going in circles on the Federal Highway after being diverted off the NKVE. 

BLOCKED: Kuala Lumpur-bound traffic building up after the Sungai Buloh overhead restaurant along the North-South Expressway just before the Bukit Lanjan interchange.

“We are returning to Penang after going to a relative’s house in Kajang and just cannot seem to find our way back,” said Anthony, who finally found someone to lead him to the alternative route via the Lebuhraya Damansara-Puchong.  

Businessman Lee Ah Keong, 45, who was returning from Salak South to Ipoh, said he had been calling his friends on his cellular phone for directions to Ipoh from the Subang interchange for half an hour but none of them were familiar with the area. 

“The highway operator should be considerate enough to put up signboards for the public to follow the alternative route to the north,” he said.  

The ramp towards Damansara and Klang was closed to all traffic Wednesday.

Apart from putting up plastic cones to divert traffic, PLUSRonda staff were seen rolling out electronic display boards to inform the public of the diversions at the closed section of the NKVE near the Subang interchange. 

A PLUSRonda official who had to return from his hometown in Ipoh said he and many of his colleagues who were on Hari Raya leave were recalled yesterday morning for emergency duty. 

Staff from other areas were deployed to the Klang Valley to help out.  

Major roads turning intoNKVE were congested following the landslide but trafficeased up around noon whenvehicles were diverted ontoother routes. 

Petaling Jaya OCPD SAC IIGhazali Mohd Amin said searchand rescue operations werecalled off at 6.30pm, when itwas almost certain that novehicles were trapped underthe rubble. 

Click here for map. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

CoronaVac vaccine arrives in Malaysia
KJ: I’ll take next approved vaccine to instil confidence
Malaysians are thankful for the lifeline
‘Bob Mah Sing’ and suspected accomplice in ramming incident caught
Malaysia still saddled with foreign waste cargo
Mardi’s two new padi varieties set to boost rice yields
EPF navigates safely through pandemic-stricken 2020
Dividend payout a welcomed bonus for Malaysians
‘A possible drop in numbers by May’
Parents busy with getting kids ready for school again

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers