JOHOR BARU: Malaysia is waiting for Singapores permission to relocate water pipes along the 80-year-old Causeway to make way for a massive project which includes a new bridge to link this city and the island republic.
Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said the state government sent a proposal on the matter last month and was waiting for a response from the republic.
He hoped there would not be any delay so that the government can start building the bridge to replace the Causeway, which is part of a RM2bil integrated Southern Gateway project.
The project also includes the construction of a new Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex, the deepening of the Tebrau Straits and the construction of a new railway station.
Abdul Ghani said Malaysia needed to get Singapores permission to relocate its Public Utilities Board water pipes to kick-start the construction of the bridge
There should not be any delay in this project for the benefit of both countries, he told reporters after visiting the 38.65ha project site at Bukit Chagar here on Thursday.
On the relocation of residents at the Bukit Chagar flats, he said they would be moved once the Bakar Batu housing scheme was completed in 2005.
Early this year, residents at the Lumba Kuda flats here were relocated to several housing areas in the city to make way for the CIQ project.
Abdul Ghani later broke fast with about 100 orphans from Rumah Barkat Bukit Chagar and staff of Gerbang Perdana, which has been given a 33-year concession by the Government to carry out the project.
Did you find this article insightful?