‘Selangor also against Government’s water plan’


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 24 Sep 2003

SELANGOR is among other states including Kelantan and Terengganu that have objected to the Federal Government’s decision to take over the management of water in the country, Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said. 

“When the mentris besar and state representatives met the Deputy Prime Minister, they all agreed to the plan.  

“But when they went back to the states, they claimed that they were not apart of the decision,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby yesterday. 

In July, Samy Vellu announced that the Federal Government would take control of water facilities and operations from the states in the peninsula to ensure adequate supply at all times. 

Samy Vellu had said that the state governments had agreed to allow the Federal Government to be responsible for the water supply after an agreement was reached at the National Water Council meeting chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad in Putrajaya. 

Samy Vellu reiterated that the states would be unable to bear the expenditure and added that the Government would reconsider the existing water concessionaire companies in the states. 

“We will maintain them if their rates are reasonable but they will also be under the Federal Government’s jurisdiction,” he added. 

 

Earlier in the Dewan Rakyat, Samy Vellu told Teresa Kok (DAP – Seputeh) that Kelantan, Johor and Penang had privatised their water management in the state. 

 

He added that some of the other states had partially privatised their water management.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site