Driver nabbed over Genting tour bus crash


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 21 Sep 2003

BY PARVEEN GILL

GOMBAK: Police have detained the driver of the tour bus that plunged into a ravine at Genting Sempah, killing one of the passengers on Friday. 

The 43-year-old man was arrested at about 1pm when he went to the police station here to give his statement. 

Police said the man, who was given outpatient treatment at the Selayang Hospital, failed to make a report on Friday as he claimed he was unwell and had stayed the night at his brother’s house in Sungai Buloh. 

“We managed to contact him through his mobile phone and asked him to lodge a police report,” said a police officer. 

Police have classified the case as dangerous driving under the Road Transport Act pending further investigations. 

In the 5.30pm accident, the bus with 43 elderly people on a two-day holiday was leaving Genting Highlands when it went out of control, crashed through the barriers at the 19th kilometre stretch of Jalan MTD Genting Sempah and plunged 30m down a ravine. 

Among the passengers was Ooi Cheng Kim, 61, who was seated in the third row on the left with her husband Ho Heng Ken, 62. 

Rescuers found Ooi’s body pinned under the front tyre of the bus. 

Ho said in the few seconds that the bus came crashing down the slope, he did not realise that his wife had been thrown out. 

“The moment the bus stopped, I looked but could not find her anywhere. I remember someone pulling me out of the bus. I wanted to look for her but someone quickly pulled me up the slope. 

“My heart stopped beating and I felt lost when someone informed me that they found a woman’s body underneath the bus. 

“I immediately knew that it could only be my wife,” said the retired school clerk at the Selayang Hospital where he was treated for cuts and bruises. 

Ho, from Tambun, said he and his wife were looking forward to going for the holiday at Genting Highlands as “we had not spent some time together.” 

She also loved abalone and part of the trip included a meal at a famous restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, he said. 

“That was why the tour bus proceeded towards the Karak Highway instead of the usual Batang Kali route to Ipoh,” he said. 

Of the two victims said to be in critical condition, Chin Zhe Mooi, 50, has been transferred to the Ipoh Hospital while Goh Ah Chu, 65, has been discharged.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Bersatu stands by Muhyiddin, says Deputy President
CITF taking measures to prevent congestion at PPVs in Klang Valley
Dr Wee expresses condolences to family of victim who died in LRT3 mishap
Confusion over BN letterhead to media on support for Muhyiddin
Thorough probe to be conducted into LRT3 construction site mishap, says Prasarana
Covid-19: Melaka govt offering columbarium niches for those facing financial problems
Najib stands with Perikatan Nasional government, but not Muhyiddin as Prime Minister
Follow SOP to reduce Covid-19 infection rate, IGP urges public
Covid-19: Cluster linked to JB Aidiladha visit among 36 new clusters
Dr M calls for PM and Cabinet to resign

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers