KUALA LUMPUR: Tourists and industry players should obtain accurate information on the safety and security of popular tourist destinations from websites set up by the Culture, Arts and Tourism Ministry.
Deputy Minister Datuk Fu Ah Kiow said tourists, hoteliers and operators should use these websites to gather accurate information to dispel incorrect foreign media reports.
He said that when the JW Marriott Hotel bombing occurred in Jakarta last week, the crisis team in the ministry worked swiftly to send out information via the websites on how those in the industry could beef up security in their premises.
“The websites can also spread information at a faster speed especially during a crisis. This is to counter any inaccurate information that may arise from such incidents.
“For tourists, the websites can be used to correct foreign reports which may sensationalise the issue,” he said after the official opening of the Asean Holiday Experience Tourism Expo at Mid Valley Megamall here yesterday.
He said the ministry’s permanent tourism crisis management committee, headed by the ministry’s secretary-general, was responsible for updating the websites.
On Asean as a tourist destination, Fu said the ministry would co-operate with other regional agencies to promote the region to maintain last year's number of tourist arrivals, which was at 40 million.
“It is a daunting task but we hope the tourist arrivals from now until the end of the year will pick up to make up for the losses suffered in the first six months,” he said.
Although Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome had adversely affected the industry, Fu said its positive effects included information-sharing efforts between countries to review existing policies and adopt measures to prevent tourism-related threats.
The inaugural tourism expo is part of regional efforts to promote attractions in Asean countries. It ends on Sunday. Admission is free.
Did you find this article insightful?