Ras Adiba to embark on 398km-trip on wheelchair


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 05 Aug 2003

KUALA LUMPUR: Former TV personality Ras Adiba Radzi will embark on a 398km-trip covering four states on her wheelchair to help promote sports among the disabled. 

Once accomplished, the feat, over 14 days under the Kembara Kerusi Roda 2003 event will make her the country’s first female long distance wheelchair athlete. 

Sports and Youth Ministry’s deputy secretary-general Datuk Talaat Hussain said the event, starting Aug 7, was also to encourage the able and disabled to join the mission and foster closer ties among them. 

He said Ras Adiba would start her journey from Johor Baru and she would wheel herself through Malacca, Negri Sembilan before arriving in Putrajaya on Aug 20. 

“We hope to enter the feat in the Malaysia Book of Records,” he said, adding that there would be various activities at each stop in the four states where local residents would be invited to join them. 

This would help spread the message that the disabled could still take part in sports, he told a press conference yesterday. 

Ras Adiba said she started her training five months ago by swimming 10 to 20 laps a day and practising weightlifting.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Defence industry policy to be launched to boost economy, says Hishammuddin
Man falls to death from third floor of Jalan Imbi monorail station
Senior citizen killed due to injuries from machete in gardening accident
MBSA officer among nine arrested in flood mitigation project probe, says MACC
Body of missing man found in Sabah, croc attack suspected
Overtaking from left: 250 slapped with summonses in three-day ops
51 people nabbed by MACC so far in PenjanaKerjaya probe
MOE conducts in-depth probe into alleged kidnap bid of pupils
1MDB trial: Najib’s account considered ‘sensitive’, involved large sums, court told
Sabah, Sarawak police deny child kidnapping claims after viral videos

Others Also Read