Government asks PLUS to look into faster collection system


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 16 Jul 2003

By A. LETCHUMANAN

KUALA LUMPUR: The Government has asked Projek Lebuhraya Utara Selatan (PLUS) to consider introducing a system that allows electronic toll collection without motorists having to stop or slow down on the highway. 

Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said PLUS had been asked to try out the scheme at two busy toll areas – Ipoh Selatan in the North and Sungai Besi – which were usually congested on the eve of public holidays.  

“Sometimes, the congestion drags on for several kilometres and there have been numerous complaints from road users,” he said. 

Samy Vellu said the Electronic Toll Collection Free-Flow System had been successfully implemented at the Melbourne City Link Road in Australia, Highway 407 in Toronto, Canada, and in Singapore. 

“Motorists need to pass a gantry where a reader will capture the data from the vehicle and credit the toll charges,” he said after witnessing the presentation of ISO 9001:2000 certification to the Malaysian Highway Authority by Sirim here yesterday. 

Sirim chairman Datuk Dr Mohd Ariffin Aton handed over the certificate to MHA director-general Datuk George George. It is the first agency in the ministry to get the certification. 

Samy Vellu said all the concessionaires would be required to install two lanes for electronic toll collection through the Touch ‘N Go system on the highways by Aug 1. 

“However, concessionaires who are using the other systems can continue with their systems for a year but will be required to dismantle them before June next year.  

They will also have to provide for Touch ‘N Go collection,” he said. 

He said MHA was also monitoring the progress of the construction of the New Pantai Expressway (19.6km), Sprint (6km), Silk (36km), East Coast Highway first phase (169km) and Shah Alam–Kuang Highway (25km). 

Replying to a question, he said there were plans to expand the dual carriageway from Seremban to Senawang and Tanjung Malim to Ipoh to three lanes to overcome the traffic congestion during peak periods. 

He said work on the upgrading of existing highways would begin after the Cabinet gives its approval.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Smoked out: Cops cripple syndicate targeting car exhausts, 15 arrested
Cops to extend remand of TV personality held for alleged rape
Sheraton move happened because Azmin wanted to be PM, Dr M alleges
Diving activities allowed to resume in Sabah, says Masidi
Covid-19: Three new clusters identified, five ended, says Health Ministry
Illegal scrap metal factory in Simpang Pulai issued with stop work order
Limbawang river clean-up expected to reduce flood risk in the area, says Klias rep
Kota Baru 'Gold rush': Jewellery shop owners, patrons issued compounds for flouting CMCO
Salesman claims trial to drink-driving, causing factory operator's death
Road rage: Fight leaves one bloodied in Bangsar

Stories You'll Enjoy